Thread: dry hydrant clogged

dry hydrant clogged

I have a frost free yard hydrant for watering the horses. It has been freezing up because the water is not draining after it is shut off. Does anyone know how I can repair this? <font color="purple"> </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: dry hydrant clogged

You'll have to dig it out and provide a space for the drain water to drain away. Or it isn't deep enough to prevent freezing of the drain area.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

the hydrant worked well for 3 years without ever freezing. When I installed it I made an area of crushed stone for a drainage. It sounds like it has setteled over time and no longer drains well. Thank you.

I would try back flusing it before I started digging. Hook something like a washing machine hose to and run water into the hydrant might have to leave it for a while and see if the prssure might clear it up. If the drain hole is rusty you will probably have to dig.

Could the hydrant be leaking a little?

Egon

If you didn't wrap the gravel in geotextile then perhaps fine material has, over time, filled in the spaces between the pieces of gravel and rendered it useless. Egon's leak idea is also a likely candidate. A leak might saturate the ground around the drain so that the faucet can't drain down properly.

A slow leak mght not dripo out the spigot, just stay underground.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"