Thread: Woodstove pipe temperature

Woodstove pipe temperature

I have a Schrader wood stove with the pipe that goes vertical through the ceiling and into triple-wall stainless. I have a magnetic thermometer that attaches to the pipe. It gives an ideal temperature ( I think it is 300-400 degrees). My question is at what height above the stove should the thermometer be attached? There were no instructions for the thermometer. I have it 18" above the top now. thanks in advance for any information.

Re: Woodstove pipe temperature

Try it in a few positioni: one close to the stove like you have it, one at a convenient but higher position and one twice the diff of the first two above the second. IF the temps don't change a great deal, especially between the two lower positions, then it just doesn't matter.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Woodstove pipe temperature

24 inches above the stovetop is ok, or at your eye level so you can easily read it. The important thing is that you keep the flue gas temperature high enough (230- 450F)to prevent creosote condensation on the walls of your chimney. Keep it in the orange and you should be ok. Remember, when the temperature is at the higher range, you have a lot of air and that will consume your fuel much faster. After banking the fire for the night, let it burn high (400F) for an hour or two in the AM to vaporize any deposits that formed over night, then bring it down some to conserve fuel. I attached our thermometer with a screw through the center hole and feel it gives a more accurate reading sine heat is directly transferred to the thermometer through the screw. And I don't knock it off when cleaning the stove.