Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine braking

Re: engine braking

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Whah Pawt, don'cha know thet loud paps makes 'em motors gow faster??? Wake up! Git chew a hack sawh and git a workin' on 'et tere pickup! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm running a two-2" in, one-3"out Flowmaster on my GM pickup, and no exhaust sounds better bouncing off a guard rail as I pull some mountain pass at 3700 RPM, but it isn't "street loud". Somehow they've discovered how to make it throaty, but not loud. I guess that's why those mufflers cost 300 dollars. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

You may not see a sigh saying Jake Brake but in Mass. you will see signs saying no jaking in some of the towns,Later, Nat

Yes, unmuffled retarders are the culprit. One thing Dad taught me in our time on the road. Always run in stealth mode. If you make the state trooper or local cop look twice at you, go ahead and get your checkbook out 'cause it is gonna cost you. We had an '83 Superliner Mack w/ twin stacks (muffled) on a 350HP Mack motor and never got a second glance when using the retarder in town. It was the guys w/ the 9" straights and 500+ hp motors making it hard on the rest of us. Coolest thing was on Dad's last KW (Cummings powered) you had a choice of 2,4, or 6 cylinders on the retarder.
    And loud pipes on rice burners? grates on my nerves almost as much as the 2 stroke dirt bike our only neighbor's kid runs around on for hours on end.

Hudr, You know how those commercial airlines headphones work, like a stethascope, no electronics? Well, I think motorcycles and other loud and obnoxious vehicles should have a tap into the muffler where the operator can plug his headphones in so he gets plenty volume and "WE" don't. This way even a stock Beamer Bike would be fully satisfying to the lovers of loud exhausts.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hey Folks,
    A couple of questions for the experts here.....
    1. Exhaust brakes. Any huge difference? The dealer is saying that the Mopar/Jacobs is the way to go and does not void my warranty. I see competing claims for BD/Banks/Etc. I am not very savvy here so any advice would be a help.
    2. What is the current consensus on electronic brake controlers? Who is making the best out there?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark