Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jiffy Corn Muffin mix

Re: Jiffy Corn Muffin mix

Bird, My approach and experience parallels yours (big surprise huh?) with some exceptions: I don't do giblets. Funny thing, you put down menudo but eat giblets while I eat menudo and usually avoid giblets but not always.

I don't whisk in my non-stick pans. My wife doesn't particularly like corn bread but she likes many of my variations. Tonight I made two 9X9 Pyrex pans of it. Used a can of whole corn, 6 jalapenos, and a large yellow onion plus the standard recipe.

I then made gravy with browned flour (a table spoon of canola) and finley chopped left over roast beef. Yet another culinary triumph resulting in gustatory delight.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, of course I agree; don't use a whisk in the non-stick pans.

And I didn't necessarily intend to put down menudo; just never got past the smell. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And my wife doesn't like the giblets either, but gizzards are one of my favorites.

I make mine very similar to that except I usually leave out the corn and add a big handful of shredded cheese. And us red neck south Texans used to put spagheti on top of our corn bread. We made our spagheti with lots of tomato sauce and juice.

Bird, Company usually got first crack at the platter of fried chicken except for the gizards which my dad and sister would war over. Being the younger child and having an adverse attitude about having a fork impaled into the back of my hand, I stayed out of the way of their going after the gizards and was happy if I could get a drumstick, my then preferred favorite piece.

It is a good thing that I made two pans of cornbread last night as I have made a full crock pot of chili for tonight and invited some folkes over for chilii and cornbread. Too bad your commute distance is so great as this yet another impromptu batch of chili has great promise in the taste department. Since I basically wing it without a recipe and don't record the results I have just a little aprehension until the spice blooming is mostly done and I can get a fair appraisal of the final outcome. An error for just me and the wife wouldn't be too bad but I'd hate to flub for friends and neighbors. So far on a self graded scale of 1 to 10 I have never gone below a 7. I think tonight will be a solid 8 or might creep up to a 9.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bird - Thanks for the reply and the recipe. I will try it verrrry soon. I don't think I used that much flour in my original try. Probably why it didn't hold together too well.

Going over the rest of the posts was really interesting, and I have picked up several ideas. In particular, I go along with Pat's ideas of making chili. I pretty much play it by ear, and what I might have left over in the fridge. I can't say I always rate a 7 or better, but the dog has never turned up his nose at even the worst of it.

Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

I should add, that is a lot of cornbread in the recipe. It is for something like 10-12 servings.

This is a pretty sweet and rich recipe. Most recipes we have made at home have less sugar and butter.

Adron, Mostly I cook "by ear", although I may read several recipes for a dish, I usually put them away and wing it. Tonight we used the left over conrbread from last night. I had made 2 each 9X9 pans and had 1 1/2 left. SO... I whomped up a full crock pot of chili (starting at about 1130AM) and called three friends and it was supper for 5 at 5PM followed by a George Clooney movie and apple pie. OF course I supplied fresh chopped cilantro leaves, dried oregano and chopped onion for topings. Forgot to grate cheese and crunch up some Fritos, my other favorite topings. I like chedar that is so sharp it will cut your tongue.

Hmmm, I think there is some apple pie left. Gotta go!