Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a name for your land or house?

Re: Do you have a name for your land or house?

It's pretty much the norm around here to have a name on the gate, lots of ranches and such. I think this is a good question Bryan. I've been wondering for the last year what I need to call my place, but I've had no luck coming up with just the right words that will identify the place and at the same time say it's "home".
    Jim, "Eagles End" is nice. I could call my place "Turkeys End". I've got turkeys everywhere as do my neighboring landowners.

I guess reflecting their financial state, one of our neighbors named their spread: "Dunn Brokus".

Our property is 1/4 mile from Lake Texoma, with the Army Corps land being one of our property boundries. My wife is from Cajun country, where the term Lagniappe means a little bit extra (like a bakers dozen). We named our place: "Lagniappe By The Lake".

Marty

LOST IN THE SPRAWL

Egon

We have a 42 acre horse ranch named "Rancho Cielo" (Heaven's Ranch). We consider ourselves blessed to have such a beautiful place, where the sunrise and sunset are so beautiful you think its heaven. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Life- flys when you need it to crawl, crawls when you need it to fly.

We've been thinking about names ever since we bought our 25 acre property. We made list upon list of names. Of course, I like 'froo-froo' names (according to my husband), and he doesn't. We tried names that seemed to fit the landscape, or how we felt about it... some that we came up with are already used - even in the same area. We just kept calling it 'the property'. Finally, last month, my husband said, "I came up with what I'd like to call it...... Liefveld Ranch" (of course, how simple).

Now, I have a question for all you, related in a way..... do you have names for places on your property?

We didn't do it on purpose, but it just got started when we were trying to refer to somewhere. So now, we have "Bear Skull Crossing" (we found a bear skull there the 1st time we walked the property), "dog-leg ravine", "50-foot cliffs" (which are actually about 100-feet), "south rocks", "camp meadow", "rattlesnake ravine", "camp road junction", "home site circle", "south rocks bend", "indian meadow" (obviously where there was an indian encampment at one time, with grinding stones still in place), "dead kids curve" (where I went fast around the corner in the truck, and the kids thought I was trying to kill them).

It reminds me of the old joke about the two arrogant businessmen sitting at a bar:

The first guy starts bragging about the 100 acre ranch he has. "It's the most beautiful place you've ever seen, and it's worth a fortune. You could never afford such a place. People call it the Silver 100".

The second guy, also dressed to the 10's and smelling of money chimes in. "I can beat that. I own 200 acres of the most beautiful land you've ever seen. It's worth two small fortunes and you could never afford such a place. People call it the Golden 200."

The first two guys, feeling smug and superior, look at a quiet little fella sitting at the end of the bar. They saddle up next to him and start to brag, "We both own expensive ranches that the average person could never afford. What do you own?

The little fella pauses for a moment and then quietly states that he only owns 5 acres.

"Five Acres!?!?", one of the boisterous men says dismissively. "That's smaller then my front yard. What do people call your tiny piece of land?", he teases.

The quiet little fella pauses as he takes a sip of his beer. He looks the two guys over and calmly says "Most people refer to my tiny little five acres as Downtown Dallas."

Hey, gsganzer, you've reminded me of that guy who sold his ranch land for the D/FW airport. I think he hangs out around Willow Springs. Have you met him?

We call our place "Unicorn Rose Farm" . We have Unicorn silhouettes on the barn doors. My wife is a bit of a Unicorn nut.

I haven't met the guy who used to own D/FW. I live near the old Rex Cauble Ranch on the north side of Denton. Are you familiar with that story? The largest RICO forfeiture.
    http://www.cowboymafia.com/

Hey Marty,

I was in your neck of the woods in the summer of 2004. My company, Cardinal FG, opened a new float glass facility in Durant. I helped them during their startup phase. I work in the Mooresville, NC facility.

Small world, isn't it?

Bryan