Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a name for your land or house?

Re: Do you have a name for your land or house?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It's practically impossible to NOT have names for specific spots on your acreage; things just seem to work out that way. We have "bunny corner", which is the Southwest corner next to the highway, and we have Racoon Creek which is our name for little Rock Crick. No matter where I've lived in the country, it seem to work out that way. We could say the SW corner of the SE quarter of Section 9, Township 71 North Range 11 West, but it's just easier to say: "Bunny Corner". [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Bryan,

I guess my Mom started it in the 70's when they bought their dream property North of new Orleans(N side of Lake Ponchatrain). She named their 7 ac "PineLoft", so i built the entrance sign by chiseling out the letters on a 2x12 and hanging it above the driveway ala "ranch style". So, in keeping the family tradition, i kicked around a few names for my 95 ac in E Tennessee. I plan on having at least 4 buttermilk buckskins for pleasure/trail riding and the property has 20 flat bottomland acres...................so........................ ..."Buckskin Flats" it is! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    I guess have to break out the chisel again!

RD

So far the only thing that has stuck within the family is the "Tick Ranch". But I'm not about to carve that into any board for display over the road in.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Hey folks,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    "Buckskin Flats"

[/ QUOTE ]
    That sounds pretty cool.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the "Tick Ranch"

[/ QUOTE ]
    I can understand why you wouldn't want to carve it out just jet.

Bryan

There was a fellow not too far from where I used to live that had a sign that said "Dussold's Chigger Ranch".
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

If we'd have to use a prominent feature, we might be "Scorpion Square" (although our property is a rectangle). I suggested "Farkleberry Farm", but Mrs. Jazz nixed it. Most of the areas on our place only have reference to a compass direction, ie, the northwest corner of the front pasture, or near the back fence. Unimaginative folk, we. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hey, Jazz, Don't be despondent.... I'm sure something neat will come to you (and be approved by she who must be obeyed.)

I have been toying with G-Star. If We stick with G-Star we will register a brand with the Oklahoma Cattlemen's Association. We have a copy of the brand registry book and it is not taken. Unfortunatley... a star with a capital G inside it actually reads, in proper brand decoding, as Star-G which is less disireable to us.

Oh well, like in pronouncing your name where some poetic liscense is allowed, I guess we can call it G-Star. Then in proper western tradition I have to fabricate and hang a big version of the brand over the entry gate.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hey Pat,

Perhaps you could have the star inside the G. Or maybe you could have the star link with the G similar to the Olympic rings.

Just a thought.

Bryan

Brian, Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, we thought of that and several other equally unwanted options. Not that yours and some others we had aren't OK ideas, just not what we wanted.

I need to stay pretty simple, graphic design wise. Lots of artsy things don't translate well to a brand. I recall the Far Side cartoon of the very nervous steers watching the cowboy heating the branding iron which was slightly verbose, "These here are the cows what belong to cowboy bob", or some such text on the brand.

From what little experience I have had with freeze branding, it seems even less conducive to fine detail so we need to stay pretty simple.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] As a former cattleman, .....spits a shot of tobacco juice.......I have to advise you Pat, ......spits again.....to keep the brand graphics.....spits again...... as "open" as possible. Avoid tight circles, nines, B's and .....spit......superimposed designs. What happens is that the hide .....spit.....cooks to blackness in the area within the circles and .....spit...stays that way. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave