Thread: New Organic Vegetable Garden for Home

New Organic Vegetable Garden for Home

Help, please. In about 2 weeks, I'm going to be planting my garden. I'd lilke to make it organic. What do I need to do for insect control in this all natural growing bed I'm designing? Any help is appreciated.

Re: New Organic Vegetable Garden for Home

There are a lot of organic means to control insests, ranging from diatomaceous earth for slugs and snails, to ladybugs for aphids, to preying mantis's, to earthworm castings for whitefly. I would suggest that you subscribe to something like Organic Gardening to get you started. There are also other magazines, and lots of books that discuss organic methods.

The important thing to remember is that the organic methods aren't always as fail-safe as chemical methods. So plant a little more than usual, expecting that the tomato worms may get some tomatoes, etc.

I just planted enough for us and the bugs. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And we always had plenty except a year when we had an infestation of grasshoppers. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks, folks,
    I can do the chemical spray, no problem with that, but I thought I might try something a little more environmentally friendly if I could do it. I shouldn't have to worry about ladybugs, we were infested with them last year. I hope they'll take up residence in the garden this year.

Cowboy, Don't confuse Lady Bug beatles with Japanese beatles which look a lot like them but are NOT the same in habit. The Japs were introduced to eradicate a pest and have multiplied and spread beyond all need or expectation. Yet another Government program gone awry.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"