Thread: Kubota Tractor Story

Kubota Tractor Story

It seems that my Kubota tractor's fuel tank has been failing for a while. It started as a very slow leak but got worse as I ignored it (imagine that.) The first time the tank drained during a period of non-use left me only pouring a little fuel in when I needed to operate the tractor.

Well, when it started completely draining the tank AND I got motivated to load it up and take it in, I did. It seems that the tank is in a well protected loacation (read the tractor was built around it.) It was hypothesized that this model's cab was an afterthought for a non-cab version but who knows for sure?

Anyway I got a look at the tank when it was removed and the two halves are welded together, it would seem, by a robot welder since NO one is that steady and that neat, not even Dave!. I'm not sure why my tank welds failed.
    My dealer gave me the number of the folks at the regional Kubota operation in Fort Worth, Texas. I left a message and got a call back.

This is the part that separates superior customer service attitude from tough luck buddy type outfits. I got a call back from a central region guy named Kent who said he would ship my dealer a free tank as he didn't want me to pursue my cost cutting plan of welding the tank halves.

Kubota comes through again with superior customer relations! The tank with shipping and tax would have come close to $400. I still get to pay the R&R for the cab and a few other minor things I'm having taken care of plus a complete service BUT thanks to the customer support attitude of Kubota I will have a new not repaired tank and save nearly $400.

Oh, I forgot to mention... this tractor has 689 hours and is well out of warranty.

To quote the "RICH KID" of the our gang comics, Things of great grace, beauty, or speed are customarily referred to in the feminine gender." Trust me, my tractor is named Kubby and I'm sure you know that it is a SHE!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Administrator

Re: Kubota Tractor Story

Pat,

Great experience and great story. I think your attitude had a lot to do with such a favorable outcome.

I have a key phrase that works about 100% of the time: "Can you help me please?" (Instead of starting off with load aggressive complaints).

Anyway, thanks for sharing such a nice story.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Hakim, One time my mom bought a Mercury Tracer wagon and had the "new car" smile. My bud and I pointed out hundreds of little dents all over her car, apparently hail damage and she immediately had us go with her to the dealership to DEMAND SATISFSACTION! When we arrived I asked for the sales manager and was directed to his office.

We were loaded for bear and ready to hassle and be hassled!!

As soon as the manager heard the words "hail damage" he says, "just a moment, please" and makes a quick call. Seconds later a guy virtually sprints into the office with a pair of keys which he hands to the manager. The manager says we have a brand new loaded full size Mercury 4 door sedan for a loaner and will contact the "DENT DOCTOR" ASAP and get your car made perfect. The sedan is waiting outside, is full of gas, and don't bother filling it before you bring it back... is there anything else we can do for you? I said won't you have to paint the whole car to avoid the repairs looking like it had the measels in a few months of fading, He says not so as the dent doctor uses dry ice and hot towels to pop the dents out and there is no painting involved and he said it has alwys worked perfectlly so far. Seems there was a thunderstorm and some of their cars were damaged, some so slightly that it was nearly impossible to see the little dents unless you got the light just right.

I learned that it doesn't hurt to give a guy a chance to tell you what he is willing to do BEFOR any adversarial situation develops. It doesn't hurt to explain the situation in a fairly NEUTRAL manner, stating the facts clearly and unemotionally. Also, never make a threat that you are not 100% able to carry out.

In the instance of the fuel tank, I never mentioned TBN or CBN until after he offered to give me a new tank. No implied threats. After he said I get a tank, I asked if he was familiar with either TBN or CBN and got a definite yes. I mentioned my intent of singing his and Kubotas praises a little because I believe in giving credit where it is due, positive or negative. That is how the truth spreads around.

Persons in such positions of responsibility often but not always have considerable leeway as to how to perform customer service. Be reasonable and treat everyone involved reasonably and with respect and you will average out with better results over time than if you try to strong arm anyone.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Administrator

Nice story Pat. Thanks for sharing it.

It took me about 5095 years, but I FINALLY realized that you can get further by being nice than with threats. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator