Thread: CORN PLANTING

CORN PLANTING

OK I HAVE 1 ACRE THAT I WANT TO PLANT SWEET CORN IN, IT'S GRASS/WEEDS NOW. DO I DIG HOLES AND PLANT, PLOW UNDER, OR SPRAY/KILL ALL VEGITATION, THEN PLANT THAT IS THE QUESTION, AS THIS IS MY FIRST CORN PLANTING. ALSO I WANT TO PLANT POTATOES IN HALF THE FIELD. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU

Re: CORN PLANTING

If you want to use the field this year, you will have a lot of work. First I would kill off all of the vegitation, then plow it under after it is all dead.

To plant corn you can use a hoe and put in a dip every foot, rows should be 30 to 36 inches apart. However for the amount that you are planting, threr are some nice push seeders out there that work fairly well.

For potatoes, the plow will work well, as you can plant the potato in the furrows. Remember that with the potatoes that the crop will be at or above the seed that you plant.

Sorry but unless you are growing hay you are going to have to kill the grass first.

They are right about killing the grass. I'd spray it, then turn it under with a bottom plow and let it lay for a few weeks, then plow it and lay off some rows at the width you prefer, then invest in one of the push planters that has the changable plates, they will last for years and do a real nice job. I have a corn planter for the tractor but I use it to lay off the rows, then I use the push planter. I'd much rather thin a little than have skips but I have found that sweet corn can really be planted pretty thick. I usualy plant about 15 rows about 200 ft. long and yield 300-400 dozen ears providing the weather is right.

What do you have to work it with? Seeing as how planting time is now, at least for here in Georgia, I'd plow it best as possible and plant seeds. Towards the end of summer, after you have picked, canned, etc. mow area, spray, work soil and plant a cover crop. It is hard to get it "just right" the first spring, so do what you can and just know that you will be better prepared next year.

I am in the same situation, I tilled under the grass and weeds, added compost, limed and fertilized. I planted the corn seeds as previously mentioned and now I have grass coming up better than a newly seeded lawn! Next year I will spray first, but what is a good cover crop to put in this fall?

<font color="blue"> Next year I will spray first, but what is a good cover crop to put in this fall? </font color>

I'd spray this fall, after you harvest and before you plant cover. That way you kill more undesireables and your cover doesn't have to compete wtih them.