Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

I had read that if you want the best tasting beef not to let them graze at all, grain only, I wondered if others had this experience too. I hadn't heard that. Also our last cow the butcher said cow was tall but not very fat, he wouldn't give much info on how to make the cow fatter. Can you tell me? He needed more marbling [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . He was our first one. We only raise them for our family and we raise one at a time. We have horses that they can see for companionship. Last thing, I heard the females are supposed to be called the cows, but what are the beef males called? Thank you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

You have cows and bulls which produce calves. The female calves are called heifers till they have their first calve. The male calves are called steers if they are nuetered. The results from nutering are often refered to as prairie oysters. Otherwise they grow up to become bulls.

Feeding straight grain, no roughage, will probably destroy the animals liver function.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Good thing I asked about that grain thing.....
    This was a neutered boy I had and will be the next one too, just interested in meat, for now. It always seems that the hobbies the hubby and I take on grow. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Egon is right you do need roughage. However, your best marbling will come with a very high grain diet. We usually finish them out on full feed grain. We have a mix that we do with the primary staple of it being ground corn, protein supplement, and some other family secrets. You want to feed a little hay to get the roughage in them. We will start them on about 10 lbs./day and then work up to full feed after a month. At that time they have grain in front of them 24/7. This will give you your best marbling.

Take note of what Cowboydoc stated. He finishes them out on grain. Most of the 4-H market steer kids will graze them for 8 months (depends on breed on how fast they grow), and the last 30 days they go to a high grain diet. I just took a 4-H class on market steer with my daughter... Great information, but I am still too green to attempt it yet. I have nothing but praise for the 4-H groups.

Joe

Thank you for that input, that is exactly what we needed! Happy eating!! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or g

We heard the FACTS regarding how to increase marbling though grain finishing. There are dissenting oppinions regarding grain marbled beef being a superior taste. There is a growing specialty market for grass raised beef.

Argentine beef has traditionally (historically) been grass fed and considered leaner and tougher but properly cooked appeared in plenty of US consumed products, just not a lot of grilled steaks.

Now there is considerable effort to genetically select for good carcass characteristics on grass fed beef. Many consumers prefer the taste of grass fed beef over corn finished. I still have most of my own teeth and although I notice it when I can cut an inch and a half thick prime rib with my fork, I'd gladly pick up my knife and also apply a little masticatorial (chewing) effort in order to get more flavor. There is a limit to the desireability of marbling. After all, marblng is FAT. If you want a truly tender piece of beef, eat a big chunk of nicely cooked fat.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If that steak is not marbled with fat to flavor the meat, then that steak is just flat nasty, you might as well be a vegan.

Nah, I'm watching my weight. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    WE are newbies at this, the butcher made the comment so we were wondering, I guess really, if we were making the best beef cow we can. We want to raise our own and I wanted to have the best favor along w/ healthly meat for our family. Just looking for tips to help us.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

opie, Watching your weight? I've been watching mine for years... mostly it goes up.

But seriously, if you want leaner healthier eating, consider grass fed beef. I recently had alligator, both battered and fried as well as Cajun style over rice and it didn't taste like chicken either (the fried had a nice texture but was essentially bland.) I strongly prefer beef to gator.

Something all the dieters should know is that ounce for ounce chicken (including skinless breast) is only one gram of fat leaner than 29 different beef cuts (per serving.) How many ways can you do chicken breast? There are 29 different cuts of beef with no more fat per serving but one lousy gram.

Beef, it's what's for dinner. Oh, and it is one of the things that doesn't taste like chicken. Oh, and did I mention there are 29 different cuts of beef that are nearly as lean as chicken, within a gram of fat per serving?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"