Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

Re: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or g

That is a great fact to know about beef, the hubby will be so thrilled. Anyway we are feeding the animals, we have found that our own raised chickens, pork and beef is much better tasting than what came from the store. Seems like less fat in the pan afterwards too. So maybe I AM watching my weight.
    Thank you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

For me, watching my weight means watching the sugar intake, deserts, candy, sweet tea, etc.

I can regulate my weight pretty well just by adding or taking those from my diet. Which is a good thing as I like to eat fairly hearty meals normally.

I read an article in the sunday paper here ( Kansas City Star ) regarding scientists were discovering that a huge factor in people gaining weight was sugar in sodas and other beverages.

( Sorry to drift the thread further, but .... ahh well. )

Flavoring comes primarily from marbling. Like it or not it's the fat that gives beef alot of it's taste. It's like eating bread plain or with butter. Completely different taste. Also the marbling is an indicator of the tenderness of the meat. Thank you very kindly but I'll take a juicy tender steak over a dry less tender one anyday. It's the marbling that does all of this. Yes you can get good beef, but not great beef, with grass fed, but you won't see your 100% grass fed beef in your 5 star restaurants. What you see primarily when you hear about good beef raised on grass is cattle on pasture that are fed more than their fair share of diet in some sort of grain or protein supplement. Even the most indiscriminate beef eater will notice a signficant difference between cattle finished out on 100% grass and cattle finished out with a grain/roughage diet.

Cowboydoc, I never said Argentine beef fed exclusively on grass in the pampas was or would ever be a majority favorite. In fact I am only personally acquainted with canned Argentine beef (already cooked of course, maybe pressure cooked at several milliion atmospheres for all I know) but it is good stuff.

If you want to overcook a cut of beef on the grill and be able to eat it without the use of power tools then you better have significant marble fat. The last prime rib I had, just about 10 days to 2 weeks ago showed very little visible fat within the "lean" portion of the cut. Most visible fat was "rind" and I could literally cut any of the central portion of the serving with my fork. It was somewhere between medium and medium rare.

Unless a carcass is virtually skeletal (body condition of 3 or less) there should be enough fat in the tissues to spread "BEEF" flavor. Of course if your expectations require significant marble fat it is more likely not a purely taste issue but involves texture or "mouth" if you will and maybe a little psychology.

Psychology becomes a factor like the folks who demand white meat of the turkey but unanimously select dark turkey meat in a blindfold test, claiming it is the white meat because it tastes better.

Luckily there are 29 cuts of beef to choose from that have only about 1 gram of fat more than skinless boneless chicken breast (per serving) and they are not dry tough unpalatable fare. Au contraire amigo, they can be most tasty.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

Best beef we have fed out lately was LonghornXAngus. Fairly lean with enough marbling for our taste. I will take something I have fed myself over anything served in a 5 star restaurant (sorry, cowboydoc). I think a lot of that preference is mental(have to agree w/ Pat on that). I KNOW what the animal has been eating. What we do: get a young bull (yearling size), uninstall his testicles, feed him out for about 6 weeks on grain and provide free choice hay and plenty of water. Keeping him calm seems to help the flavor as well. I think adrenaline and what-not does strange things to meat flavor. We also keep them separated from all other animals to prevent accidents and bruising. He needs to be well-fed, well hydrated and stupidly calm right up to the point where he gets knocked in the head. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    my .02

The question I have regarding this procedure is how do you keep him calm during the uninstallation of some of his private parts? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"The question I have regarding this procedure is how do you keep him calm during the uninstallation of some of his private parts?"

Wellllll, that takes a little doing. Candle light, some wine......
    No really you just have to hope he lets by gonads be by gones [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

web page

Most people use one of these.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Best and easiest method on cattle today is banding. Basically you put a rubberband over the base of the scrotum and in 2-4 weeks the scrotum and testicles fall off. No loss of weight, soreness, going off feed, trauma, etc. Makes for nice easy transitions.

If I can recall we used to do this within a few days of birth. It made handling much easier.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]