Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

Re: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

Egon,

Recent studies have shown if you wait until 6 months you get better gains and more muscle than castrating right away. But before you lost weight due to castrating late. Now with the banding system you get the benefits of delayed castration without any stress to the animal.

<font color="red">I think a lot of that preference is mental </font color> Actually no it isn't mental in the slightest. All tests for quality of beef is done as carcass before it ever even goes anywhere. There are about 42 tests that are done to scientifically show the results. Angus breeding and marketing leaves nothing to "mental" it's all in black and white facts.

Cowboydoc, When I said it was mental, I meant that the meat I raised was superior in my mind, but I have no sonograms or lab testing to back it up.
    I am not knocking all the tests done to prove superiority of one breed's meat over another. I meant that I am predisposed to prefer meat raised in my backyard over that raised in a cowlot. Could I pick it out in a blind taste test? Probably not. But it makes ME feel better knowing I fed the beef out myself, testing and marketing aside.

Doc:

Sounds like I'm really out of date. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Talking about healthy, the wife and I are almost 100% venison now. I don't know the last time we cooked a beef steak. We use ground venison in lasagna; bacon wrapped filets; peppercorn tenderloins with cognac sauce; slow cooked venison roast with new potato's, artichokes and capers; chipped venison for chili etc. etc.
    Man, this is making me hungry. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

How do you do that? Is there year around deer season there. We would eat alot more venison too but deer season is short.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

<font color="blue"> How do you do that? Is there year around deer season there. We would eat alot more venison too but deer season is short. </font color>

I have a deer lease in a 5 deer county. I took 4 deer this year and have two freezers in my work shop. Depending how many people we invite over for cook outs during the summer, we should make it most of the year. We had a fair amount of sausage made from two of them just for cookouts. The sausage is usually a 50/50 of venison/pork. So that adds to the total a little bit.

I see [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] We only got one this year and it seemed to go way too fast, we ate it in everything. We hope we do better next year.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

I wonder why people don't raise deer or antelope for slaughter? Maybe they're just too hard to keep contained and managed because of the flight response. Some of the african antelope like Eland or Kudu are big bodied. You think that would lend them to raising for slaughter.

There are Deer Farms.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]