Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

Re: What makes a better tasting beef cow? Hay or grain

<font color="red">I meant that the meat I raised was superior in my mind, </font color>

I agree 100% with you there. Good or bad it's rewarding to eat what you raised and secondly like you said you know exactly where it came from and what it ate. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm no certain but is marbling also effected by the breed, age and weight that they are finished at.

Chances are all those criteria will have an effect.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I remember as a teen, working at a place where a lot of us went out for lunch and a lot of the guys liked to go to Bonanza or Ponderosa restaurant (can't remember which it was). I recalled the steaks there having yellow fat and were, in general, not what I would consider really good steaks. I later found out that they used cheap meat which was more than likely never sent through a feed lot and finished on grain. They were essentially grass-fed cattle, most likely worn out milk cows or whatever.

There's no doubt in my mind that finishing on grain is the way to go for flavor and tenderness. I'm 100 percent with cowboydoc. I'm willing to accept that my steer is not going to be as healthy for me to eat because of this. I take this into consideration when I consider my diet overall. All things within reason. We actually don't eat all that much beef, but when I have a steak or prime rib, I expect it to taste good. If I eat ground, I generally cook the snot out of it anyway, so most of the fat is gone. My angus will still market as being healthy because of the lack of nasty chemicals in the pasture and some of the alternative methods of taking care of their health without using medicines, antibiotics, and other chemistry. I'm a lot more concerned about those things than I am about some fat in the meat. I will still finish them on grain. Grass-fed is no comparison as far as I've seen (and tasted).