Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree has grown into my barn's roof.

Tree has grown into my barn\'s roof.

My barn roof extends about 2' beyond the exterior wall. There is a large hardwood tree near the barn. The roof would have cleared the tree; but, it was close. Anticipating trouble, the roof extension was less near the tree. I don't remember what I allowed.....probably 6" or so.

That was 25 years ago. The tree has now "swallowed" six inches of a 2x4 pressure treated board and galvanized, corrugated metal. I am embarrased that I didn't even realize this until recently.

My plan is to just cut the roof near the tree and let the tree completely incase the metal & wood. Is this wise? Or, should I remove the foreign material and apply some sort of tar? Or, what?

The tree is almost 5' around (where the problem is); this is about 18" in diameter.

Re: Tree has grown into my barn\'s roof.

as the tree will grow out radially just leave as is and consider it an extra roof support. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now you have to hope that the tree doesn't lift the roof off the barn as the tree grows. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, Trees do not move any existing tree material upward. Vertical growth is new material. Make a mark on a tree or measure the distance of the center of a branch to the ground. Unless the ground changes elevation the distance from the ground to the center of the branch will remain pretty constant.

I recall the guy who had a tree beside his driveway. A limb protruded out and as it grew began to interfere, just a little at first, wth driving the car into the garage. His "TAKE" on the situation was to just wait it out. He said that as the tree grew older the limb would end up well above the height of the car and there would be no clearance problem... plus he could heep the nicely growing limb. BALDERDASH After a couple years he realized the truthof the situation and cut the limb.

The wind swaying the tree laterally would be a concern.

I have built a shed before with a BIG notch in the sidewall and roof to accomodate a large limb on a beutiful tree. Later the tree had to be removed leaving a clever but useless notch in the building which always prompted folks to ask WHY.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The wind swaying the tree laterally would be a concern.

[/ QUOTE ] That is why I have made the orginal posting. I am going to seperate the roof from the tree.

Let me rephrase my question to this board: What should I do with the wood &amp; metal embedded in the tree? Cut it close the bark and leave it alone? Chisel it out?

Leave the wood and metal alone.

Pat,

I KNOW that! That's why there was a smiley on the end of the statement.

I wanted to see if I could catch anyone. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks, Egon, I verified your answer with some Google research.

After seeing the direction this thread took, I wish the original posting had not even been made.

Adios.

So, am I a world class straight man or what?

If building damage is the concern as well as tree health, I'd cut the metal and "move" the building far enough away so the tree didn't hit it. I'd not chisel the metal out for fear of greater tree damage than leaving the "gripped" portion there. If you cut the metal off close to the tree, in time it will be covered to lay in wait for some unsuspecting dude to ruin a saw blade. Serves him right for not using a metal detector on all trees near buildings and such.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Now now; did you not obtain the requested advice with a little extra for side benefits. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]