Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I let him out when I'm not home?

Should I let him out when I\'m not home?

Hello - My husband and I recently moved from the 'city' to a 30 acre wooded property (in the Virginia Blue Ridge) that's pretty isolated -our nearest neighbor is a mile away. We've got an english coonhound that used to be able to go in and out of the house whenever he wanted (we had an invisible fence at our city house. But ever since we moved he's been stuck in the house all day while we all go to school and work. He hasn't made any messes, but I can't help but think that he must be miserable without the option to go outside. He doesn't have any problem behaviors, he just likes to run around and sniff everything.

We're considering putting in a dog door, but I'm worried that he maybe that would give him too many hours of freedom. There are some coyotes and bobcats in the area, or so we've been told...we're also considering one of those doors that can be programmed to only let him out during certain hours.

I'd love to know people's thoughts on this. Has anyone tried one of those programmable pet doors? Should I just get over the fact that he's bored and lonely for 8-12 hours every day?

Re: Should I let him out when I\'m not home?

Build him a pen outside with a dog house or shelter from sun and rain, snow, etc. Do not let him run or cayotes might kill him, or if he wanders onto someones property and kills their chickens or steals eggs or tears up bags of feed, your neighbor will be within his rights to kill the dog. You can let him in when you are home. Your dog will be perfectly happy outside when you are gone.

Why not build a doggie door and another invisible fence?
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

I'm a little familiar with quite a number of dog breeds that are used as coonhounds (my dad's best friend used to raise and train them), but I'm not familiar with an "english coonhound". If it's anything close to the size of the coonhounds I've known, coyotes and bobcats will try to stay away from it. I think my only worry would be whether it will stray too far from home. Otherwise, I think it would be best for it to be left outside.

IMHO, I wouldn't let a dog adopt me unless I provided a dog door and a fenced back yard for them. Coyotes attack in packs. A fence is the best protection when you are not home. When I lived in the desert, coyotes used to try to claw through my fence at night to get at my dogs.
    <font color="green">Wally</font> "GATOR"

Good fences make for good neighbors.
    I wish the h^*$ my neighbors realized that and kept their D*&amp;% dogs on their property where they belong.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone - this is what an english or redtick coonhound looks like http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/englishcoonhound.htm

Sweetest pup ever, by the way. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] He's about 55lbs. We thought about installing the invisible fence again, but how do we train him on where those lines are? I like the idea of an enclosure or a dog run during the day where he can get in and out of the house on his own. We're just going to have to figure out how to make that work. I don't want him to be a nuisance to anyone else, or become lunch. The back of our house is up against a steep hill, so we don't really have a back yard, per se. But we have a heck of a front yard!

Thanks for all the advice!

Training a dog to an invisible fence is really pretty easy. When the fence is installed they put in several flags. put the collar on your dog. Wlak him to the point where the collar beeps (not zaps) correct him with a jerk on the leash. When he walks away praise him. After doing this a few times a day for a week or so remove half the flags. Continue the leash and walking him to the line. after another two weeks or so remove all flags. Put collar on him every time he's outside. Remeber to put in fresh battery in the collar .

install a dog door, and invisible fencing. If he's already used to the shock/ sound of the collar then training should be a piece of cake. Put the little flags around the perimeter and walk him around every day, a couple of laps - just close enough so that the collar starts to alarm - not shock and he should be good to go very soon.

Side note - we have three dogs, all mutts; one will stay in the yard, one will get shocked and either hide under the shrubs next to our deck or will run through and disappear for the day while the third one will yelp, tremble, shake and run through the fence (in and out of the yard) as often as she likes. So the two get tied out on runs while the third has run of the yard.

My suggestion, which is similar to many who have already replied, is to put in another invisible fence. I surrounded my 7 acres with the invisible fence and it has turned out to be the best thing I've ever done for my dogs. The wire is cheap so you can surround a bigger area than you might think. As for the re-training of your dog I would do like others have already suggested, just go through the same initial training again and put up the flags again. Your dog will re-adjust quickly. I have one other suggestion, get a companion for your dog. You certainly have enough property now and your current dog will love playing with another dog. My two German Shepherds are always playing together when we come home and see them before they see us. Besides, wouldn't you just love another puppy?