Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kittens

Kittens

My mom's cat had 4 kittens. They are old enough to move to the farm, but they are still kittens. My question is, if I take them to the farm house, should I build a structure of some sort to keep them safe from aggressive animals that might attack them. There is no barn to turn them loose in. They'll simply be allowed to run around the house. I'll put food and water out for them each day, but they won't be allowed inside the house. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Re: Kittens

They should have some place where they can get out of the weather.

Egon. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I suggest you take them to the humane society instead of just letting them run around outside. If you do keep them, make sure they are nutered. Chris

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They'll have lots of places for shelter. I have an unoccupied dog house and lots of other weather tight places. I'm hoping they'll help with the mice population around the place. Are there any vaccines that they should have?

Call a vet and see what all you need for your area/situation. There are a passle of cat shots.

Even for "barn" cats you should consider having them neutered to prevent imbreeding. There is always an overabundance of kittens should you need more.

We have feral cats that have survived multiple winters here in south central OK. I have seen some of the same individuals hunting in the snow winter after winter. Not all cats can do it but the tough ones seem to make out for at least a few years with no humal assistance.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks, Pat.
    That's sound advice. My mom's house is being overrun by these cute creatures so I have to do something with them. I'm not against having them neutered, and I wasn't sure about inbreeding with cats. But I think they're too young to neuter now, and I'm afraid after I take them to the farm, they're going to get used to being independent and I won't have a chance to capture them. I'll contact the vet and see what my options are.
    Thanks again.

Barn cats are often not fed much so as to keep them interested in being mousers. If once in a while you feed them a treat (canned food) presented in a live trap wired open so as to not catch them they will have no fear of the trap and can be rounded up easily when/if needed.

A vet worthy of your business should be able to handle a cage with enclosed cat(s).

Winter shelter needn't be elaborate, an enclosed space with straw for bedding within a larger outbuilding is fine. Just keep an eye on their general appearance, you don't want them too fat and lazy nor starving.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I have 6 barn cats on my farm, and they are pets as well as barn cats. I feed all of my barn cats, and feed them well, with Iams cat food. They are all EXCELLENT mousers and ratters. It's actually better if you feed them. They'll still hunt, because they love to, but they won't be so quick to actually eat their prey, they'll just play with it, and they won't stop hunting when they're full. My cats are constantly hunting.

My cats often present me with their dead prey. One of them arranges three dead rats, all facing the same way from head to tail, at the door to my main barn several mornings each week.

There are a lot of diseases and parasites that they can pick up from eating rodents. I find that my cats are just as productive, if not more productive than some of my neighbors who don't feed their barn cats.

All barn cats should definitely be neutered and they should get their vacinations, especially rabies as often as your vet recommends.

We have a goat dairy and also raise fiber sheep. The goats and sheep eat feed, and consequently, there's plenty of food for rodents. My cats do a great job of keeping the rodent population in check on my farm.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Egon, Du-uh, they are barn cats... Maybe they can find shelter in the barn. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat

Right you Pat they could shelter in the barn and keep it rodent free but I'm a little concerned over their liviving quarters while they build the barn! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon