Thread: Deer Crops

Deer Crops

I have land that I would like to plant some food plots for deer and turkey's 172 acres 12 acres of fields . This property is in Norwich N.Y. any suggestions on what will work the best to attract them
    Hunter

Re: Deer Crops

Your county ag extension will probably have a pamphlet that will list crops suitable for wildlife management.

Obviously corn and clover work well. Some other crops that are easy to plant and always seem to grow like weeds are pumpkins and gourds. Planting a few apple trees will also attract deer.

You mentioned deer and turkey, don't forget pheasant.

You need a mix of crops for year round feeding. I like perrenials such as birdsfoot trefoil and Mossyoak Biologic Perrenial Blend. The trefoil is a warm weather crop which is invasive but deer will keep it in check, especially lactating does who need a tremendous amount of food to feed themselves and their fawns. The Biologic is mostly clover which will hold throughout the year. Plant in strips( 30 ft x 50 ft min) and scatter the strips throughout your property. I have good results by letting the wild grass grow up between the strips which will provide a cover for the deer and turkeys. Do a soil test first. I found that a 5 foot drop spreader is better than a broadcaster for liming strips and hand scattering seed is better than mechanically doing it when strip planting. The best device for spreading fertilizer is a 12 volt atv broadcaster because you can close the gate and back the machine into tight places, open the gate when you want the stuff broadcast, even throwing it while standing still if you want it heavier in some areas. I just bought a busted spreader which sold for $99 in Walmart for $50, although it took 35 pop rivets and some duct tape to fix the broken hopper. It is also great for corn scattering. Foodplot planting is like painting, the better the prep, the better the results. But don't be a fanatic.

I forgot. When determining where to place food plots, consider the prevailing wind direction if you intend to hunt over them and insure you have at least one or two places to hunt them in any wind direction.