Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Veterinarians here for an 2nd opinion?

Re: Any Veterinarians here for an 2nd opinion?

Fred, Maybe you will understand it if I say it this way:

Dogs can get "mental" from problems such as these and would require you to: 1. put it down OR 2. sedate it till its quality of life was severly reduced.

I'm not sure how to address the issue regarding how death might be an improvement in quality of life but sometimes it can be.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

(drumming fingers)

Awaiting the return call of the Vet... (the one for the 2nd opinion...he's at lunch... THE NERVE!!!)

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Your dog has an ear problem of some sort. See if your Vet will give you a prescription for Otomax and follow the label instructions.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

He's got mites! Saw them myself under the microscope, PRETTY things [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] .

As I was told, those can be transmitted from dog to dog (or cat) but they need close contact.

Close contact is just what I have between Otis & Chloe, or Chloe & Tubby, or Tubby & Newt (uncle's dog next door) or Otis/Chloe & Blacky the cat. You will notice that Otis & Tubby are not listed together... they both think they're each the Alpha male... creates interesting moments at times [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Evidently, Chloe was clean (she was with us to and got a 'courtesy checkup').

So, Otis got 2 months worth of the medication (apply on back verses ear drops), Chloe, Tubby, Newt all got ONE application and Blackie got 7 (my understanding is these will replace her other stuff)

Anyways, we're going back in 3 weeks so the Vet can get an idea of how successful the treatments are/have been and to if need be, irrigate his ears, though he said he didn't think that would be necessary. Evidently it's a minor infestation rather than a big colony [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] .

Interesting sidebar, he (Vet) said his trade magazine once had a story about another vet who found these and wondered just what they felt like to a dog...so he (the other vet) inserted them into HIS ears and then for like a month or so, kept sort of a daily diary as to the symptoms... even to the point of noting that evidently since the mites are right near the eardrum, they are LOUD!!

In addition to that, they had cycles of activity they went through which is clearly what we experienced with Otis (being more tormented at night)

Was very glad to hear that's all it is. I just got home and just finished giving ALL the animals (or herd as the vet called them) their medications. Vet said he was supposed to see them prior to giving it but since we clearly had a problem and they're all rolling around it wasn't unreasonable the others might have it... so (since I'm like 35 miles away from this guy) I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and prefer to treat them all at least once.

Fortunately for me, while we were at the vet, Otis did the head shake several times, but ONE time in the mannor that concerns us. So the Vet got to witness the "something is wrong" headshake instead of the "I'm only adjusting my collar" headshake.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I will admit, I was prepared to fork out $$ for x-rays & stuff, had this turned up negative. As it is, we're presuming this is the entire issue and as such, is now on the road to being corrected.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That's a lot of treating being done [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    I'm glad they found the problem and I'll bet Otis is very glad [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That's a lot of treating being done

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, $300.00 worth [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

That's a brave Vet. I know that I wouldn't have the guts to put ear mites in MY ears so I could know what it's like. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

That's a man dedicated to his profession!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, What if he gets curious about Ebola or hemoraghic fever????????

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

He'd better write his report in shorthand! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

He might not have a choice!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]