Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: burns my *ss

burns my *ss

I have read quite a few posts here about burning garbage. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a tree hugger or any kinda actavist. I'm just a hard working, nature loving guy.............
    with emphysema and mesothelioma. I use oxygen 24/7and I'm 54. If you folks had any idea whatsoever about the carcinogens and plain old poisons and contaminants you are spewing into the air and sending to your neighbors and worse yet, back to you own property for others to inherit. you may think twice. For crying out loud, pleaes pay the extra buck or two and landfill the stuff properly. It brings tears to my eyes when I read this type of post, and some of you actually think you are doing Mother Earth a favor by your actions. Think of the children, small and large that you are poisoning, and the wildlife. Think, please THINK.
    admin or anyone, please feel free to flame or delete.
    thanx

Re: burns my *ss

Not really the correct forum for this. You should have placed it into an actual thread where someone is talking about burning garbage.

You got me thinking ... how much smoke a day goes into the atmosphere from cigarette smokers?
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Thanx Gator. There are so, so, so many mentions of burning garbage, it would be hard to find an appropriate thread. And I don't think too well when steam is coming from my ears. Besides, I thought 'feedback' would be appropriate. (not gettin' negative on ya now)
    Asfar as second hand smoke, the original study was done at MIT (I think) and has been duplicated world wide. The experiment was to run a deisel semi tractor in a sealed garage for 30 minutes and then the level of carcinogens was measured. The garage air was refreshed and 2 cigarettes were maintained in a smoldering state for 30 minutes. (smoldering is the key word)(obviously several sets of cigs were used) the carcinogen level was 300% higher from the smokes, and it was only 2 smokes.

My spelling s*cks and the info may need to be tweaked a smidgeon, but you get the drift. BTW- a ton of other useful info was gained when I attended pulmonary rehab classes (learn how to breathe)
    Thanx again
    Steve

<font color="blue">( There are so, so, so many mentions of burning garbage ) </font color>

I did a search on Garbage AND Burning and found only 3 outside this thread. I hope you don't consider burning brush/wood as garbage.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

In some rural areas there is little or no opportunity to subscribe to garbage/trash collection. It is unfortunate but true. I just got trash pickup a few months ago.

If it is all natural garbage I still think composting is beter than puting it in the landfill (too much volume going into landfills.) If it doesn't compost (or burn) it can probably recycle (in civilization, not in many rural areas.) Some folks have little or no alternative to burning much of their trash. Luckily I now do.

A better place for the anit-trash burning message might be lobbying appropriate levels of Government to move in the direction of requiring universal access to trash pickup followed by a tightening of burn regulations with an eye to finally outlawing the burning of manufactured items. This would not interfere with burning brush, leaves, or controlled burns of agricultural fields.

Even in Oklahoma, we now have laws mandating a smoke free environment in public eating places. My understanding is that bars and resturants have no option, smoking areas no longer coexist with non-smoking sections. There is zero tollerance. Similar laws protect visitors to Government buildings.

Oh GREAT... now I have the air polution smoking type protest song from the American love rock tribal musical "HAIR" running through my head over and over and over...

Breath deep while you sleep, breath deep, deep, cough cough cough...

Midlife, be glad you aren't in our area. Several nights I have opened the windows to cool the house off and my wife has closed the windows because she smells smoke. It is all the fires in this whole area. Amarillo Texas fires sent smoke to Oklahoma to add to our home made smoke. We have been in a lengthy total burn ban but still there are cheaters who burn trash on the sly because it just keeps piling up on them.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

re: (cigarrette) smoke free zones). Washington just passed what is probably the strictest 'no smoking' law in the nation. Absolutely no smoking in public places with no exceptions. Separate rooms with their own air intake/exhaust aren't allowed. No smoking outside within 25 ft of a window, door, or air intake.

That last one, in many places, effectively bans smoking at all as the only place that would comply would be the centerline of the street.

Some bars are setting up outside shelters for smokers, some are ignoring the law except for paying the fines. Their increased business covers that. Of course the state is talking about taking them to court over it.

I am glad that I gave up smoking years ago.

Harry K

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Some bars are setting up outside shelters for smokers, some are ignoring the law except for paying the fines. Their increased business covers that. Of course the state is talking about taking them to court over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There should have been a steeply escolating fine structure for repeat offenders built into the law as what is happening is easily predicted. At some point the responsible party or parties should be termed a gross scofflaw and the penalties should include jail time. You can bet that few bar owners feel strongly enough about providing shelter for public smoking to risk serious jail time or even LARGE fines (Where LARGE is defined as whatever it takes to work.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well I tried not to answer this but it just grated on me. All of us do not live in Minosota. I live in south east Arizona. It is probaly desolate compared to you. There is no trash or garbge pick up. It would probaly cost me $100 to have one pick up. The closest land fill is maybe 40 miles away. However there are two Mexican land fills less than 20 miles away. In Mexico. I have no idea how much it would cost me or the hassle of trying to dump garbage in Mexico and do not want to try it. I welcome you to try it. Perhaps you should try taking your garbage to Canada. Any way both of those dumps have been burning garbage for at least 20 years non stop. Plus there are several wild fires burning in this part of the state along with some controlled burns. My pididly amount of garbge that I burn is like me peaing in the Pacific ocean. My closest neighbor is more than a mile away and it is 13 miles of dirt road to the closest town. Sorry sir/ms stick it.

Seems I recall reading an item where in Canada sending garbage to Minnesota to landfill was being looked at.

In Nova Scotia all garbage is picked up on a weekly basis.

One week it is real garbage and compostable materials that have been placed in a special green bin.

The next week two more groups of materials are picked. Paper materials in one bag and plastics/metals in another bag.

Twice per year we have a pickup for large items.

All these pickups extend to the rural areas.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Michigan gets all of Toronto's trash exported into our state where it is landfilled. This has been a great cause for dismay for Michiganders, yet the Federal Government says we cannot block this due to "Free-Trade" agreements.