Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: burns my *ss

Re: burns my *ss

DocHebb:

Again my memory fails. I confused Michigan with Minnesota.

From what I can recall [ subject to memory?? ] Michigan was in the process of trying to stop this importation of garbage.

Egon

An up date on Michigan's garbage importation problem.

web page

Egon

I guess my apologies go out to all. When I joined this site, I thought "a friendly place for folks to talk about living in the country" meant just that. And it is totally beyond me why I would even consider bringing my garbage to Canada, much less Mexico of all places. My intention was to maybe open a few eyes to the potential harm they are doing to themselves and future generations. I have no problem with the burning of brush piles and the like (although there are altenatives.) (and when was the last time someone burned a brush pile that was 100% organic brush and nothing else added.) Almost everything man made take on a different chemical composition when alterred from it's original state (burned) and so many people have no idea what they are putting into our air, soil, and water. Some of these accumulative poisons can exist for 10,000 years or more. I value my life and my kids and grand kids far too much to intentionally poison them when I have a viable alternative. I always thought us 'up north, back woods' people where a little behind the times for some things, but we haven't landfilled or burned our garbage for many, many years. It gets sorted and incinerated at a local facility. (they do the sorting.) This facility follows strict EPA guidelines and even produces safe, usuable bi-products. After composting and recycling, I'm left with little garbage. Before pick up service, I used to haul my trash every few weeks or so to the transfer station, and I had an opportunity to view the wild flowers, smell the clean country air, see a deer or two, or rabbits, or birds or whatever else makes up life. I would also do some shopping or visiting that I normally wouldn't do, because of the distance. A while back, I learned to tell the difference between opportunity and obligation, and life has been good from that day on. Please don't diss me because I want a better place to live. I want to do something that my wife and kids can be proud of after I'm gone.
    I might read, but I probably won't post.
    Have a good day

Parker County, Texas and Santa Fe County, NM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    admin or anyone, please feel free to flame

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say you were treated very mildly, after calling people you know little to nothing about thoughtless child-poisoners.

What a case of the blind men and the elephant. Each of us sees a small part of the picture and thinks others must be blind to have a different viewpoint.

I don't think anyone here is PRO polution but some of us are underinformed about the other guy's reality.

When I was in San Diego we had pickup for regular trash plus three different color coded recycle bins plus another trash can for GREEN waste like lawn cuttings and flower trimming and bush pruning. Heaven help you if yoiu made a mistake. They were serious. You were not permitted to throw away CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS. If you had some wood scraps and shingles from a repair, it had to find its way to the sanitary land fill by other means than trash pickup. When I demoed and replaced my sidewalk, I hauled off about 24,000 lbs of broken concrete to the sanitary land fill and payed them to take it.

Oklahoma is working its way slowly toward the 21st century. There is atill a lot of rural areas underserved in trash disposal which causes a lot of rural folks to doze a large hole and put cans and bottles in it. Burnable trash is burned. Biodegradable stuff is often just tossed out. Not the best situation but if there is no trash service in an area what are the alternatives? I have trash pickup now.

Oh by the way... Fire is natures way. Man comes along and thinks all fire is BAD so fuel builds up untill a conflagration of biblical proportions equalizes the situation. Controlled burns of agricultural land CAN BE a good thing. Burning can be good for pasture and reduces the need for dangerous chemicals which can also be a good thing.

I can't say just what NON-BRUSH items there are that are sneaking into someones brush piles but mine are composed of two things, 1. brush, 2. critters who take up residence or hide in the brush piles. For the critters sake I don't burn all of my brush piles.

This planet is not a DISNEY THEME PARK. There are unresolved and likely unresolvable conflicts. Who likes, dislikes, condones, or dissaproves of a specific avctivity is often a matter of whose ox is being gored.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Garbage and what is it?

It could be alleged that in some locations around the world what we consider garbage would be looked at as a mine of highly usable items.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Parker County, Texas and Santa Fe County, NM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It could be alleged that in some locations around the world what we consider garbage would be looked at as a mine of highly usable items.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Egon, and I'll give a concrete example: a friend and former co-worker (we both worked for an American company that had overseas operations) was working on assignment on the Ivory Coast of Africa. Locals were fighting each other with knives and improvised weapons to be first in line to pick through his garbage. He quit because he couldn't reconcile that with his conscience.

1*I use oxygen 24/7and I'm 54
    2*I attended pulmonary rehab classes (learn how to breathe)
    midlifecrisis = Steve
    <font color="purple"> 1*My brother is on oxygen 24/7 from breathing asbestos in a factory where it was floating around in the air. He's 62 and been on oxygen for 5 years.
    2*He attends pulmonary rehab classes every Tuesday.

</font color>
    lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

When I demolished and replaced my sidewalk, I hauled off about 24,000 lbs of broken concrete to the sanitary land fill and paid them to take it.
    Pat
    Veteran Member Reged: 09/15/02 Posts: 2992 Loc: south-central Oklahoma
    When I tore out an old side walk I pushed the concrete down by the road and put a free sign on it.
    Didn't cost me a cent to get rid of it.
    lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

lbrown59, Good solution, for you obviously, but not workable where I was. It would be illegal there to put something curbside more than x hours ahead of trash pickup or that wouldn't be picked up. IF you did put something, anything, curbside and the trash guys came, they would put a rejection notice on it if it wasn't gift wrapped, scented, and had $5 taped to it. Once in a while you could put something out that was too big or not bundled to specs and set a 6 pack on top of it and it would likely go away.

Where I am now I have knocked out a guys old foundation and sidewalks and hauled the debris just to get the debris. Of course it doesn't hurt to do a little extra for someone once in a while. You just never know when or how it might come back to you. I have helped folks that I thought I'd never see again and then even a year later get helped out of a jam by the same person that I hadn't seen for a year.

Have you heard the urban myth about gift wrapping garbage and leaving it by the elevator in a NY appartment bld during a garbage strike to have it stolen in minutes to never be seen again?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"