Thread: composting theory

composting theory

I have done searches and read a lot on composting, but I still have unanswered questions. I will put my theory to practice this summer and would invite any feedback.
    I'll start with my new aquisition from Ebay, a pto, 3-pt. Merry Mac chipper/shredder for my B2910. There is a never ending of surplus produce (spoiled) for free as well as bagged leaves Spring and Fall. There is always spoiled hay to be had from local farmers as well as twigs and yard waste. I plan on mixing all of the above in whatever quantities become available but still proportional with fewer wood products. I also have about 500 yards of decomposed topsoil/ vegetation/ cranberry bog peat. If I find any rotted cow manure or other manure, I may concider that also. This is mostly for personal use, or to give away some. Apprciate ANY feedback. This pile will be built on clay and turned with a FEL and I expect to use it in a month after starting. I plan to make a new pile each week. ???????? The chipper/shredder has 24 hammers and the smallest part of the throat is about 8 x 12" I think. It will chip 3 1/2" limbs, but that isn't my main concern. Anyone been there, done that? Do I need to tarp the piles? Do I need to insert drain tile for oxygen? Help.
    TIA
    Steve

Re: composting theory

I doubt a month is enough time, even if you tarp it with black plastic. IMHO, I wouldn't bother with drain tiles for aeration or a tarp. Just turn your pile over every few weeks with a front end loader and keep the pile moist with a sprinkler or hose if necessary. You should get a good hot pile in a few weeks after starting, if you have enough manure and soil in the mix. The heat is important to sterilize the weed seeds. I also add some 10-10-10 fertilizer, sand and soil along with any yard waste I generate. When it stops smelling and looking like manure, then mine's done.

I primary compost fall leaves in the spring. I grind them with a chipper shredder then pile them till spring. You could start composting over the winter. I make small piles about three ft. high and six ft. diameter. I add a cup of the high nitrogen fertilizer. I stir it once a week. I also add a little lime. I have good mulch compost in six weeks. What I don't use throu the summer turns into fine dirt by the next spring. I use a couple shovel full's on each layer of leaves when starting a new pile.

I've had better luck maintaining heat in large piles, and as you plan to do, turn occasionally with the FEL. My browns consist of leaves swept up from around the place and wood shavings/sawdust from my shop projects. Most "greens" come from pulling a sweeper when I mow (about 4-5 acres) as well as accumulations from the kitchen. Most years I have to clear wild water primrose out of the pond and end up with a few yards of that to add to the pile. I've never chipped or shredded anything but try to avoid adding anything that will take too long to rot. My aim is to work a single pile for the year, adding to it through the summer and fall. Come the next spring, I start a new pile and use from the previous year's. By chipping and shredding you can probably make your piles finish off much sooner if that's what you want.

I'm curious about your chipper. I have a B2710 and have been ordered by the control tower to get a chipper for it. After my last trip to the emergency room due to a fuel air explosion in the burn pile, she told me I could drive myself to the hospital if I ever start another fire.

How big a branch can it actually handle? Are you happy with it? Can it suck in a branch with lots of growth or do you have to trim the branches clean to get them to feed?

One comment on your composting. We have horses so if you compost the manure make sure you get it hot enough to kill any worm larvae or when you spread it around you can transfer them. Where you live the cold will probably kill them once you spread the stuff but it's just something to think about. If you don't have any critters it won't matter.

I bought this chipper because it met my particular wants and needs. It was purchased for the shredder. According to propaganda, it will take a 3 1/2" branch/tree, but I was more concerned with the hopper and throat. It came with a 1" screen, and several others are available. All I've done so far is shred some junk mail and it ate it right up (it was carefully sorted.) and a few pieces of bad fruit/vegetable. The tractor was at idle and it did fine. For serious shredding, I'll need about 1500-1800 rpm and it should handle what I feed it. This particular chipper/shredder only has a 17 pound flywheel and 1 knife (not designed for serious tree work) I will use this for brush and branches some day, but I'm not expecting to feed 3 1/2" oak for 8 hours a day. It is a fine unit for my application and I'm happy with it, but just like my 2910, it's not a commercial unit, but it will get the job done.
    update-all the info I've been reading lately tells me the soonest I can expect to use this compost is 40-45 days under ideal conditions, and the piles need to be turned every other day.