Thread: Bronze Borers in white birch

Bronze Borers in white birch

This is a tree question rather than gardening, but it's not clear what forum it belongs in so:
    We have bronze borers in our 2 white birches. I got a price from a tree place that was very expensive. They were going to spray mert around the base and root area of the tree. Any recommendations on where to buy merit so I can do this myself, or is there a better chemical to use for this? I read the MSDS and it seems like pretty nasty stuff, but I've handled insecticides and have enough protective gear to feel comfortable.

Re: Bronze Borers in white birch

See if you can find a company in your area that is trained to use this system. micro injection

If you know someone who has an applicators license, they can probably get some for you. This type of systemic application is the best way to get borers. It should be considerably cheaper then a foliar and soil drench.

EDIT: I just checked the link a little. The insecticide "Imicide" does not appear to be restricted and is listed for bronze birch borers. You might be able to purchase this yourself and apply it.

Thanks.
    I talked to the master gardener at our local extension office and they recommended the following product:
    BayerAdvanced

I got it at Walmart, $20 for enough to do my trees.

You can't beat that. Anything that's a systemic should work.

Different ships, different long splices! I just bought a bottle of the Bayer at Lowe's a few days ago and then attended a talk by our local extension agent about residential lawns but asked him about the Bayer as a systemic for use on pecan trees. He was very negative/skeptical about it doing much.

I will follow the directions and apply it to some trees and not others. If the treated trees all have fewer web worms I'll challenge his knowledge base.

Pretty simple application, just pour around the base of the tree after diluting. Use an ounce of concentrate per inch of tree at eye level or whatever the instructions say (hey, I read it days ago.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Just don't eat the pecans or some of your body parts might fall off. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]