Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raising Quail

Raising Quail

Anyone know anything about raising quail?
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Re: Raising Quail

I don't know much about it, other than there are very specific requirements on the cage. I believe the cage must be very low (3 - 4') but long to allow them to run. I'm interested to hear what people know about raising them.

It's been too many years ago since my grandfather raised both quail and pheasants. Of course he wasn't raising them to release into the wild; only to slaughter to sell or eat. And after a couple of years, he quit raising either; said it was just too expensive, took too much feed to get them to eating size.

Depends on whether you want to raise them to release to stock land with quail or raise them for slaughter. The former is easier and I think there were Gov Pubs on it. Check with your ext agent.

I talked with a guy last year that raises over 5000 a year to release on hunting preserves but Ii didn't quiz him about processes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

See, the problem is that our extension agent is about as much help in raising quail as Elmer Fudd in a divorce case. Anyways, looks like I may get to tour an actual working facility in a few days. I'll let ya'll know how I'm getting along as I continue down this road.

GAFarmer, Good deal, will be interesting info. What variety do you want to raise?

Decades ago amidst controversy Cortunix (SP?) quail were raised and released in fair numbers in Oklahoma. I thnk they were foreign imports. They matured sexually at, I think, 6 weeks. This was supposed to be a big boon for hunters but turned out to be a big boondogle as the quail never became a self perpetuating breeding colony in the state. At least they aren't around any more that I know of except captive raised.

Yet another attempt to tamper with nature that failed to stand up to the test of time and reality. Good luck with your quail venture. Oh, by the way... any idea regarding the suceptability of quail to H5N1?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat, I'm going to be raising bobwhite quail. Managed to read a few pamphlets today and dad's going to see the extension agent tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also found out you need a permit to sell these bad boys. Uh oh, when the goverment gets involved it can never be good!!!!!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

GAF, I used to really kike quail hunting but it has been a long time since there were enough to hunt around here. I'm happy that there are enough to be able to hear their distinctive Bob White calls much of the summer. Hunting wasn't the cause of their severe reduction and I'm told "stocking" the place with quail will do little or nothing to permanenetly significantly raise their numbers. They would require constant replenishment. It seems, I am told, that if greater numbers were sustainable there woiud be greater numbers, naturally.

I wish it were not so. I would be happy to release several on my place if it would make a long term improvement in polulation.

If you succeed in raising quail what will you do with them? Let us know how it goes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hunting wasn't the cause of their severe reduction

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the cause? I've heard a theory that it's the fact that they nest on the ground and the fire ants either prevent nesting or kill the babies; don't know whether that's been proven or not.