Thread: Wood Burning Stove Leaking

Wood Burning Stove Leaking

Hi All
    Just put in a new woodburning stove, installed by professional and we have had all types of problems, not drafting propoerly, door wont close etc.. anyway, now water is coming in through the chimney pipe into the house and dripping on top of the stove when it rains. There is a cap on top of the chimney outside but just a round one, not sqaure and oversized like the one on my fireplace chimney cap. Any suggestions?
    Thanks <font color="yellow"> </font color>

Re: Wood Burning Stove Leaking

Race, Suggestion: Next time hire an expert.

You may not be in the mood for any humorous approach but consider this: Professional means they get paid for what they do. Expert means they are really good at what they are doing. The terms are not neccessarily mutually exclusive, it just seems that way sometimes.

Now for some more practical suggestions:
    1. get the installer back and have him "git 'er done!" Doesn't he warranty his work?

2. Determine if the water coming in is indeed coming down inside the chimney and not getting in at the roof penetration and following the chimney pipe down. Less likely, but you need to be sure before fixing thte problem.

3. Maybe you can compromise with the installer. You pay the difference between the cost of the cap he installed (and certified to be sufficient to his way of thinking because he didn't say anything about it being substandard) and the cost of a better cap. He of course "eats" the labor since it is his installation and failure to recognize substandard parts that caused the problem.

You might mention, if needed, that by acting expeditiously he might be able to prevent any claims of consequential damages fron the water leak.

Of course if you bought the parts, especially the cap, from another source, not him, then you are in a definite grey area and may or may not get his R&amp;R labor for free.

Good luck and let us here how this unfolds.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Are you sure it's rain and not condensate from the stove exhaust?

Sometimes the flue is too large and the exhaust gases move too slowly (low velocity). This allows the flue gas to cool to the dew point and the moisture to condense out inside the chimney. The problem will be worse on rainy days due to the barometric pressure affecting the dew point.

Guys:
    Thanks for your replies and advice. I thought the co ( A Cozy Fireplace) were pros but you never know I guess. It is most likely leaking from the cap, it's just a smaller round one on it now, so it is probably allowing rain in when the wind is blowing.
    I don't think it's condensation, too much water is dripping and it only does it when its raining.
    I will give the installer a call or stop in and maybe create a small scene in front of another customer , maybe that will get him to react a little quicker!

Race, You might want to give them a chance to have you explain the situation to them before you go to battle stations. If after they understand your observations of the problem and then they don't seem forth coming with offers to make it right... then take off the gloves and wade in.

If they don't respond satisfactorily then check to see if they have a lisc to do the work they do. If no, then visit with the DA. If yes, visit with the lisc agency (state, local or whatever) before escolating the issue. Many operations are bonded and or have E&amp;O (Errors and Omissions) insurance. Try to be demonstrably and provably fair in your dealings with them as that can go a long way in court. If you don't get satisfaction make a claim in small claims court. You should recover consequential damages directly resulting from their inadequate work. This includes whatever the leak may damage. You, however, should do whatever a prudent person would do to limit those damages. You don't put an antique heirloom under the drip.

Unfortunately, these days a lot of installers do sloppy work and seem to be quite insulted if you are less than pleased with their bungled attemp. Pride of workmanship is discussed more than practiced.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat,
    Thx again for your reply. I have since spoken with the Fireplace store ,and they are ordering me a new cap for starters. he thinks the rain water is definitely getting in from the cap. This new cap is desinged specifically not to allow rain water in and help with poor drafting. We'll see what happens!
    Howard

Howard, It sounds like they aren't total loosers. They were playing a little loose and easy but seem to want to "do the right thing" when you show an interest.