Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old barn...what to do

Old barn...what to do

Anyone in the E Tx area know of a market for "distressed" lumber? We have an old barn (~ 40'X60') on the place built by my paternal grandfather. It is in pretty bad shape and we want to get it down so we can build another. Anyway, I hate to just dig a hole and push it in it. Also a little worried about having all those flats that hold the thing together scattered about.
    One other thing; I must be honest, there problably is only about 30% of the lumber that would be serviceable for more than craft type projects (frames, trim, etc.)

Re: Old barn...what to do

hudr, I had an old building offered to me but after inquiring about the market for "antique" wood I declined and it was burned and the residue buldozed into a ditch. Of course that was then and this is now and now there is a burn ban.

If conditions would let you burn it that would probably be the economical way to dispose of it if you can't find a provident market for the old wood. There are powerful magnets a couple feet wide on wheels with a handle like a broom that do a pretty good job recovering the nails from the ashes. If you were really concerned, a metal detector and a magnet on a stick to pick up what you find would tidy up anything the roll around magnet missed.

I have been trying to resort more to magnets and metal detectors to find debris instead of my usual method which is using tires and carbide saw teeth or planer knives.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

tires and carbide saw teeth or planer knives

Whats wrong with using these metal locators. They work so well they will pick up everything the magnet misses.

As for the barn, It could be dismantled and the salvageble material stacked for future considerations.

Egon

I know what you mean. There were actually 2 other barns near this one and I remember as a kid we pushed them in and lit them. Also, there is a rental place nearby that has a 10' magnet w/ slots in the top to fit fork lift forks. We are needing some dozer work done anyway so after picking out a few choice pieces for some artsy-craftsy projects the wife has planned, I see a pit and a bonfire in the near future. I have already checked w/ the local VFD and they will babysit it for us as training since it is still pretty dry around here.

hudr, WOW, a 10' magnet! If that baby is one of those STRONG type like the rare earth ones you'd have to be careful and heed the warning the shape shifter gave Wesley Crusher on "Star Trek, The New Generation." She cautioned him that the magnet he was handling could suck the iron out of his hemoglobin. That 10 footer would sure beat the little 2' wide unit on wheels.

If you take a walk through the crafts/antique/slob art sales places you'll undoubtedly see several examples of someones creative ideas for yet another cutsey thingy made from old weathered wood. Picture frames used to be THE THING but now there seems to be no limit to the "object d'junk" items made from old wood.

In the best tradition of DIY, I am aging my own lumber. I have scraps left from house construction that have set out in the weather through 2-3 winters. I have begun to collect some of them and use them to build benches and shelves in my new workshop.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If you decide to go with the burning option, you could do what a lot of folks do here in NC. If we had something to burn like that, we may call the Volunteer or regular Fire Department and ask them if they would like to use it for training. You would be surprised at how many times they have taken people up on the offers.

Just a thought... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bryan

Hudr,
    If you haven't yet had a bon(barn)-fire you might call your local Cracker Barrel resteraunt, or perhaps Red Lobster...they have that type of 'siding' on the inter walls.
    If ever in the Pecan Gap area of E TX give a loud yeeeha for me!
    have a blessed TX day,
    [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] roy

Yeah, but they don't buy that stuff - their contractor does.

You might try this website:
    http://www.discoverys.net/

It was featured on "This Old House" on PBS. They might be able to recommend someone in your area.