Thread: Pitting my land?

Pitting my land?

I recently purchased 43 acres at a foreclosure sale and the previous owners clearcut the land and left no trees for erosion control. The result is huge washes all over. My county supervisor noticed the quality of the dirt (sand clay topping) and has asked if I would be willing to let the county buy from me to build roadbeds. Seems like a good way to make some money as well as shaping the washes into workable land. The supervisor says that the county will reclaim the land after use so that I can get use from it . I was wondering if anyone has ever pitted their land in this fashion.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Re: Pitting my land?

The county did this on a place right down from us. Looks like they did a fine job, however, I wouldn't get into this if you're in a hurrry. I think they spent about 1 1/2 years at that place before everything was said and done. Just my 2 cents! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Re: Pitting my land?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not far from where I grew up in Californey there was a limited area of rich, river bottom land that could grow vegetables like mad. A lot of the acreage was bought by some energetic Italian farmers who planted wine grapes, tomatoes, spinich, you name it, and with plenty of hard work they got wealthy. One of the Italians was kind of slow and didn't get right over to America when he was supposed to, so the land he got was not as good; much farther down river and with a fairly shallow layer of soil over river rock. He was able to grow crops, but never made the yields that his countrymen on the better land were able to produce, year after year. One day a guy stopped by and asked about gravel, and as they say, the rest was history. His main tool became a rocking chair; that he sat in; with a pad and pencil; counting loads of gravel driving out of his farm. One-thousand six-hundred twenty-two; one thousand six-hundred twenty-three......... he got as wealthy as his countrymen, and never cranked up a tractor after 1955. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave