Thread: Making Furrows

Making Furrows

Hi all, I am new to planting on a bigger scale and to the forum, I used TBN in my decision which tractor to purchase then found these threads. I want to make furrows in our planting area for corn and other vegetables, but have no idea which attachement to use. One friend said a cultivator is all I need, another said get a middle buster for our small garden on what the previous owners used. Not sure what will make long even planting rows when pulled behind a 30 hp tractor.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Making Furrows

Do not know what other seeds that you are going to be planting, but for the size garden you have this would be more than adequate.

Earthway

I use a cultivator to make my planting bed and make a planting furrow down the middle of the bed with a hoe. Then when it comes time to actually cultivate, the row widths are just right.

Thanks for the help, this is our first time with a garden larger than 10 X 10 and a tractor. I probably am just looking for more uses of the tractor. I did find this kit, just not sure if it would accomplish what we are after for furrows. http://www.stevenstractor.com/mercha...118&step=4

I have not did gardening on a large scale by myself yet,Grandpa allways did the tractor work. That unit is a combo middle buster, cultivator, and hiller. Middle buster is in the middle of picture and can be used to make furrows. Cultivator is all the points attached to the unit.It can be used to cultivate beside plants after they come up or make smaller furrows.The two large disks are used to make a raised row or hill instead of a furrow.

Thats what you need, albeit a little light duty. Wouldn't be good to snare a root or big rock with it. Middle busters are handy for all sorts of digging chores.