Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog's Nails & Clipping

Dog\'s Nails & Clipping

OK, I'll admit that I don't keep my mostly indoor dog's nails trimmed back enough, or often enough. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] They usually don't get trimmed until we notice her slipping on the hard surface floors.

Anyway, when I trimmed them last night I cut too close and nicked the vein in the nail. Now I've had this happen before and I can usually hold a paper towel on the nail and get the bleeding stopped OK. But last night it was more difficult than usual. And having to take her out in the snow melt didn't help any either.

What's a good product to stop the bleeding? I'm sure that there is something that works well. I told my lovely wife that she'd better plan on taking the dog to the Vet. or a groomer from now on, but I don't think that will fly.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: Dog\'s Nails & Clipping

I don't know what it's called, but you can get this white powdery stuff at most pet stores to put onto the nail to stop the bleeding.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

After I posted, I checked the website for PetSmart and found a product called KwikStop. It apparently is available in different forms and package sizes. Might stop by tonight so I have some on hand.

Thanks for the input.
    Gary

A Styptic Pencil, like you would use for shaving works well also.

-dave

Super glue would also work.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I remember the first time I cut a dogs nails too short. I never imagined so much blood. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It was pulsing and shooting about a foot. I started to wonder exactly how much blood could be in a 90 pound yellow lab. It looked like a massacre had taken place.

Well, I use an electric shaver, so no styptic pencils. I do remember my Dad having those on hand though.

And I've used super glue on myself during my model airplane building days, but none on hand. I would have grabbed that if I'd had any.

I'm going to stop by Petsmart on the way home and get some of that KwikStop stuff they have on their website.
    Gary

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I've used Quik Stop for my dogs for years. It works great.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

If you have corn starch on hand that will work, too.
    And like Egon already said, super glue. I hold the powder on to get the bleeding stopped and then paint it with Crazy Glue, which you can get with a little brush on it like fingernail polish.
    I had a customer recently pay $228 dollars to the vet for a nail trim [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Of course it was extensive. The dog was put under and the nails were taken back to where they should be and cauterized. I was told his Lab could hardly walk anymore the nails had gotten so bad.

I did end up using some corn starch to get the blood to stop. But then had nothing to seal it with. When we took her out later that night, the moisture from the recent snow got it started again.

I've obtained some "KwikStop" type pads from PetsMart and now have them available in case of future need. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My problem is that I don't trim them often enough. Not too proud of that, but until she starts making noise on the hard surface floor it just never comes to mind. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Gary