Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog's Nails & Clipping

Re: Dog\'s Nails & Clipping

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    never heard about cobwebs as a coagulant/wound sealant

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but I thought cobwebs were pretty popular for that purpose, on humans, in the 1800s.

Gary, My hearing used to go to 21.5KHz in one ear and about 20.5 in the other. I used ear muffs or plugs to run my Dremel. I though about using it on the dogs but reconsidered as dogs don't like you messing too seriously with there ears like trying to put in ear plugs.

I have a flex shaft for a Dremel as well as one that plugs into a Dremel brand Jigsaw. I suppose you could put the Dremel in a sound absorbing enclosure and use the flex shaft to do the deed. Otherwise you better have a calm or deaf dog.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well, I out weigh the dog by a serious margin, so maybe I could just pin her down and let my wife do the trimming. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Not serious about that. I do think the whineing noise, from the Dremmel not the dog, would be the annoying part. I do have two of the diamond imprgnated bands that I picked up a while back. I'm certain they'd do a good job.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Bird, I'll take your word for it. It was before my time!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary, I don't recall the comedy movie but one of the scenes was someone getting a pedicure and the operator was using something lke a 7 inch angle grinder and was producing a shower of sparks.

Good luck on your next session.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I am not quite that old, but it is a good sign that my memory is not failing completely. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I do think the whineing noise, from the Dremmel not the dog, would be the annoying part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not any more than a dentist's drill [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Actually the smell is the worse thing, for me anyway. That "burning hair/skin" smell seems to linger, too.

I didn't think I still had this website in my favorites, but here it is for what it's worth.
    Grinding a dog's nails

Thanks Fred. I read and bookmarked the page for future use.

Perhaps this weekend I'll see how she reacts to the noise. My BIL has a battery unit and that would be more convenient to use.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Fred, I bought the clippers and clipped our last dog's toenails myself a few times (a rat terrier) and I did make him bleed pretty badly once. Neither he nor I enjoyed that chore even when I didn't make him bleed. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So I read the article in that link and wondered how my Dremel would work. I also visited PetSmart yesterday and looked at all the nail clippers and files they had, but decided to not buy anything. Now if I were grinding the toenails of a Doberman, as that lady was, I'd approach that job very carefully as she described [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], but we just have a Chihuahua now and her sharp little toenails definitely needed some pruning so I figured she couldn't chew me up too badly if she didn't like the Dremel, so I tried it out today. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Now it ain't easy to hold any part of her still enough because she's always a bundle of energy and likes nothing better than to "play fight" with me; just snapping and biting all the time, but never in anger or hard enough to hurt unless you happen to jerk away at the wrong time and then her sharp little teeth will definitely bring blood. But she's no more afraid of the Dremel than any other toy and didn't seem to mind at all when I was grinding a bit on her toenails. Unless something unexpected happens, it looks like that's the way I'll be going from on. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]