Thread: CORN---PLOW UNDER

CORN---PLOW UNDER

OK, I HAVE ROUNDUP TO KILL THE GRASS, AND BOUGHT A USED ONE BOTTOM PLOW---HOW DO I USE THAT, HOOK UP TO THE TRACTOR PULL DOWN THE FIELD THEN HOW FAR TO SPACE FOR THE TURN AROUND? OR DO I JUST PLOW THEN PLOW AGAIN SIDE BY SIDE FOR THE WHOLE FIELD?ALSO DO I HAVE TO LEVEL THE FIELD AGAIN BEFORE PLANTING? MANY QUESTIONS TILL I GET STARTED. THANK YOU [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: CORN---PLOW UNDER

The plow turns the soil over in kind of a rolling fashion. The next swipe should start where the soil will roll over to meet the turned soil on the previous pass. It will all be in the same direction. I have a two bottom plow and getting started is the tricky part but then once you get the hang of it it's real easy. If I remember correctly, if you plow in opposite directions youll end up with huge mounds. You will need to plow with harrows, tiller, or scarfier before planting.

Re: CORN---PLOW UNDER

This is a tricky one. It all depends on spacing. If done right, a bottom should be able to roll the soil and layer it nice and smooth as you go. If you are ending up with a wavy pattern, then your wheels could be let out to far to allow for a proper plowing. Also, the speed at which you pull it could affect the quality. I've seen people who knew how to use such a plow layer the soil like a blanket. I've also seen them turn the field into a rutted-up mess. Have fun and remember, patience, patience, patience.