Thread: dirty looking water

dirty looking water

I fixed the problem of sulfer smell months ago by periodically chlorinating my water tank. Now our water looks dirty when we flush the toilet and you don't have that oily feel when you rinse off in the shower which tells me the water is hard. Could this be caused by the ground being saturated because the softner went through it's cycle last week?

Re: dirty looking water

Many things can cause dirty water coming from a water softener. The amount of rainfall affects well water, the more rain the more dilution, less rain, the higher concentration of suspended solids. Dirty salt, regeneration schedule not applicable to the water usage, and as was my case today, the regeneration outlet pipe plugged with the scale forming material the salt releases during regeneration. I doubt very much the regeneration of your softener affected the water table. Another case may be your well is not recovering and silt is being drawn into the system. this will cause dirty water and mechanically plug the softener, but this would also be acompanied by low water pressure. That is what I have now, low water pressure because my softener is probably iron fouled. After this regeneration to loosen the bed ( new pipe installed), I will regenerate again with a concentraton of Iron Out. We use potassium chloride instead of sodium for health reasons and while expensive as compared to sodium, it is much cleaner. Even at that, once a year the brine tank should be cleaned. Our regeneration cycle is every 4 days with two women and me in the house. I don't know how big your softener is, but I think it should regenerate at least weekly

Re: dirty looking water

I'm not a fan of shocking a well. It can cause serious, read expensive, problems with the water quality, pump, drop pipe, power cable etc.. But you shocked a water tank. If it is steel, it could be rusting due t the chlorine and that may be where the dirty water is coming from if not from dirt in the bottom of the tank. If there is dirt on the tank bottom, then it may get into the softener and through it after a regeneration.

If you didn't by pass the softener when you shocked the tank, the resin is probably ruined or at least damaged which will cause a loss of capacity.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates