Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Roads and Dust

Rock Roads and Dust

Our subdivision road is crushed rock and sometimes generates a lot of dust. Nothing new here right? I read a note in the local paper last fall stateing that the county would treat your road with Calcium Chloride for $.50 a foot. Sounds reasonable until I realize that our road is appox 3000 feet. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I'm thinking of doing it myself but don't know if they use Calcium Chloride crystals or a solution. And if it's a solution, what's the mix ratio?

I'm going to do some Googling, but thought my fellow board members might have some previous experience.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: Rock Roads and Dust

Hey Gary. My research is limited to Googling (sp?). I ran into one entry concerning the idea that it is a salt, and as such might corrode vehicles. I think the operative word here was might.
    Bret

I did do some Googling and it appears, from the first hits anyway, that it's usually applied as a solution. I don't have a suitable sprayer, but can borrow a 3PH spreader. So I was hoping to be able to use crystals. need to look around some more.

I did find some research about using Bentonite for dust control, but they used a road grader to windrow the crushed rock and mix in the Bentonite, then respread it onto the road. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Don't have that kind of equipment. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Gary

Gary, The data I reviewed was from tests on limestone graveled roads in Iowa where it was found that Bentonite cost a little more than Calcium Cloride per application. Since two applications per year were required for the Calcium Cloride and the bentonite was good for over 2 years per application, the bentonite was clearly superior and was a more natural/earth friendly soluition. The tests did not last long enough to determine just how long the bentonite lasted but it was over two years.

Road oil is a good dust control also. Here is the URL for the Iowa State study.

http://wwww.ctre.iastate.edu/pubs/se...eson/index.htm

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat,

Your link didn't work, at least from here at work, but the study you refer to sounds like the one I saw the other day. They windrowed the rock and used two graders to mix in the Bentonite. Then they respread the rock.

Too machine intensive as I don't have two graders! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Gary

Gary, Sorry about the failed link. One of thse days I simply must have someone explain the rudiments of hypertext to me.

I'd bet that bentonite spritzed over the top of a gravelled drive or road would get worked in over time by traffic. It is probably that the methodology of the "experiment" need not be followed slavishly to get similar results.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

GaryM my man, waz up? I just started thinking (bad idea) why can't you spread the Bentonite on the road as-is and then just run over it with a boxblade? Maybe I'm just missing the boat.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Pat just suggested the same thing, and for a subdivision road it might be good enough. I'm willing to try it. Now I need to find some Bentonite. There's not much oil drilling in Eastern Missouri, and I doubt if the local farm store has it.

Guess more research is in order.
    Gary

Isn't bentonite sometimes used to try to seal septic lagoons that are leaking? If so, you might try the lagoon-building people.

Chuck

"Don't have that kind of equipment."

See, that's the problem with America today- always looking for the easy way. Think of the satisfaction you'd have if you got out there and worked that road into shape with just a hand trowel! It would probably improve your health, too.
    Why, when I was a kid, we had to break a ton of rocks in the morning just to put down on the driveway so we could ride our bikes to school. And those bikes had flat tires. And it was in the rain. Uphill, both ways. And when we got there, they'd sometimes have moved the school on us. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Yep, those were the days...