Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rock Roads and Dust

Re: Rock Roads and Dust

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    THAT'S A PROBLEM!! (Lead compounds in the glaze.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are obviously a problem. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Make nice colours though. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Rock Roads and Dust

Blue, I have driven on many oiled roads after or duning a rain. You haven't encountered slick until you get on a freshly oiled dirt road after a little rain.

Earlier when this thread was new I was instructed to dispose of a galon of "OLD" vegetable oil. I poured it out on a slightly sloped section of gravel drive. We have had several inches of rain since then (several weeks) and I am not particularly impressed with the "improvement." Not a well controlled experiment with few guantifiable results but quantitatively I can say it would be a waste of $ to go into this in a big way unless the oil was at least free or they would pay you to take it. Probably better to use it for bio-diesel.

When I was a kid and earlier, before my time, crude oil was used for road oil, yup, fresh out of the ground. Some of it did OK and some was pretty useless. By the way... I recall tanks of crude, fresh out of the ground, that were as clear as melted snow and could be used in some cars without mixing with real gasoline but was prone to vapor lock. If you set a 5 gal can of it in the sun for a few hours you'd have less than 4 gal for sure. Higher fractions like propane, butane, etc would "boil out" i.e, come out of solutionwhen heated. This, of course, would be useless as road oil.

I wonder what the statute of limitations is on non payment of road tax for motor fuel??? We'd have to hold a high school reunion inside the barbed wire hotel.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"