Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Roads and Dust

Re: Rock Roads and Dust

At least you had a bike! I had to get up each morning a cut down a tree so I could make a pole to carry my little brother across the flooded creek!

You had it easy! Bikes, what will they think of next?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

You might check with a well driller. They use it around here to seal the tops of wells after they are drilled.

Gary, and Jazz, Did you guys ever hear the Monty Python routine about how the younger generation didn't apprreciate how the older generatioin had it, things like living in a brown paper sack on the side of the road or a hole in the ground covered with sticks and having to get up two hours before going to bed to get to the mill for tupence a day and when we got home our dad would cut us up with a butter knife, if we was lucky? Seemed that way to me, a little bit around the edges.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The Monty Python sketch was what I was alluding to when I made my commet. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Glad you recognized it.

Didn't want to get too far off topic, some folks are sensitive.
    Gary

Gary,
    I'm just up the road from you in Troy. Last summer our subdivision Calcium Chlorided our steets as well...It wasnt cheap, but it did keep the dust down.
    A couple suggstions;
    - Only do the main drags, our subdivision did EVERYTHING even all the way back in courts. We could have saved quite a few $$$'s
    - Have any road repairs done first. Grading, gravel etc. Once the CaCL is down you dont want to scratch it up.

A very simple way to keep the dust down is to slow down. I have too many neighbors who do 40-50mph on our gravel roads. Driving like that just throws up huge dust clouds.

Good luck

-dave

I'm in a little subdivision. 15 lots and one road with a "Y"

We've been having a fellow from Jonesburg work the road with a Duragrader type implement. When he's done it looks like a new road. He charges $60 an hour and it's money well spent. In between I do a little work with my tractor.

Did you folks do it yourself or hire it out? Was the CaCl applied as a liquid?
    Gary

<font color="blue"> It wasnt cheap, but it did keep the dust down. </font color>

How much was it? And how long does it last? I'd think the first good rain would wash it away. It's only salt, after all. And then what? It goes into the neighboring properties and kills things?

Can't be all that bad, or people wouldn't do it, but how bad is it?

We have a pretty big devlopment 80+ lots alll 5-8 acres.
    The CaCl was applied as liquid, the cost was around $16,000. We hired it out....I think there is 5-7 miles of road... I cant remember exactly.
    The rain did not wash it away, although we did it during a dry period.
    What it did was almost setup like concrete. All of the dust, fines and smal pieces bound up together and made a really nice hard packed surface.
    The down side is now that winters over, we need to fix the pot holes, and gullies. The $16,000 we spent was pretty much wasted at this point.
    I was never in favor of it anyway. It was alot of money for what is essentially an annual expense.

-dave

slapshot

If you've lived in the St. Louis area for a while, you might remember the name Russell Bliss. He was an expert on dust control on dirt and rock roads. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For those not in the know, he sprayed Dioxen contaminated oil on roads around the St. Louis area. Now there are varying opinions regarding the dangers, or not, of Dioxin, but there were major cleanup efforts of those areas and one town along the Meramec River, Times Beach, have been completely abandoned.
    Gary

Oh I do remember...the guy sprayed this supposedly dioxin contaminted oil all over two counties. But the state only took the highest priced, most desierable land to clean up and later it became a state park. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] nice...

-dave