Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rock Roads and Dust

Re: Rock Roads and Dust

What about oil? I know we used to use it all over the country, and it worked great. OK, I know somebody must have decided we couldn't be spraying petro oil all over the roads, but what about veggie oil? Reclaimed fryer oil should work. Just don't use oil that's cooked meat (like chicken or fish), or you'll drive the critters crazy with the smell! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, why not?

Yeah, I know they used to use oil...

Haven't seen any used in quite some time though. I wonder if you could mix some oil with water and liquid soap so it would emulsify. Then spray it on the road. The soap and water evaporate leaving a thin coat of oil.

I'm not sure I'd want to drive the road behind another car on a rainy day. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, I don't think the soap would evaporate and if it rained the soap would wash off the oil. Why soap? Why not just the oil?

Do you recall the cantenna, the gallon can of dioxin containing transformer oil the non-inductive 50 ohm resistor was immersed in?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Sure do remember the cantenna, in fact MFJ sells an almost identical unit today. You have to supply your own Dioxin though.

I figured the soap would help emulsify the oil water mix. Wouldn't mixing the oil with water help distribute the oil at a lower rate with better coverage than just spraying the oil by itself?

Not going to use oil, now it's a thought experiment.
    Gary

If I were wanting to stretch it, I think I'd prefer to use alcohol to dissolve the oil in water. It would evaporate pretty quickly.

And probably get the wildlife drunk off the fumes! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Not to mention being horribly expensive...

Seriously, I'm going to look into this more. I can't see any environmental problem, though I'm sure some enviro-wackos would. (Just that we EXIST is a problem for some of them.)

Using recycled fryer oil ought to be cheap enough, and it would sure last longer than calcium chloride.

My only concern is traction in wet weather. I don't remember ever driving on an oiled road after a rain...

Gary, The soap would absolutely help emulsify the oil and mix it with water and allow it to be spread easily, UNFORTUNATELY that is the exact process whereby you wash oil off of something... Add soap and water.

If you had a very short life quickly biodegrading soap that would degrade to something with no surfactant properties before the first rain then it would probably be a good deal otherwise a bust.

I know you want to avoid EVIL SOLVENTS (other than water) but they could be selected to "flash off" quickly leaving the oil behind. Maybe ethyl alcohol like is blended to make gasohol. It would evab pretty quick and wouldn't be a Chernobyl to the environment.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

So Pat, you're saying that with my proposed method, instead of ordering "clean" rock for the road, I'd be making my own? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary

You've got the solution right there Gary! Order up some washed rock as a top coat!

Think of a large truck spraying on layer of hot Tack Coat. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Fryer oil? I don't think you really want to do that. New veggie oil maybe.

I burn used fryer oil in my diesel truck. Some spills are inevitable. It kills the grass, smells (decaying fat from cooked food), when it rains it is terribly slick. I try to cover it up with cheap kitty litter and remove it as soon as possible.

If you must, at least do a trial area first.
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

<font color="blue"> Do you recall the cantenna, the gallon can of dioxin containing transformer oil... </font color>

http://www.junkscience.com/foxnews/fn081800.htm