Thread: I ain't no welder...

I ain\'t no welder...

I took a material science class in college where we spent a LITTLE time welding. I spent most of that time welding the rod to whatever I was trying to weld. Yes, I was bad, and have not practiced since....
    I have a shredder that needs some welding on the front corners. I keep clipping trees with it. I was thinking about beating the crimp/crack out a little then welding a support brace onto it. Can I do that with just the 4PU38 item number welder from Grainger? I would post the URL, but it looks like they use frames [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

thanx

Re: I ain\'t no welder...

There are lot's of folks here who know more about welding than I do. That said, I'll add that with your limited experience, and bad experience at that, the answer is no. At least not with a lot of practice.

If it were I and had no other use for the welder, I'd take it to someone who could do the job. Faster and cheaper in the near term.

If you had further use for the welder other than this one job, I'd spend $300-$400 and buy a real 225 Amp welder that could handle anything in the future. An AC/DC unit would be nice.

Stand by for lots more opinions. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary's was good advice. Welding thin metal is tricky, then it is compounded by being broken already. Maybe stopping by Lowe's and buying some sheet metal bars and bolting them around the top as a stiffener will do the job instead of welding

That is good advice. I am much better with Nuts and Bolts than a welder! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]