Thread: Recent backyard visitors

Recent backyard visitors

Here are pix of recent backyard visitors. The Canadians (I recognized the uniforms) hopefully will nest and raise a family as a pair did 3 years ago. I have no clue why the turkey came to the back yard a few days running. There are plenty about and easy to hear but only come out in the open once in a while.

Maybe some of you "woods smart" folk can tell me why the geese start honking loudly about 30 seconds to a minute before taking off for one of their 2 or 3 times a day fly to another pond and return excursions.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Recent backyard visitors

More of the Canadians.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You have to feed them "Canadians" Pat. Looks it's pretty barren or dry.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe some of you "woods smart" folk can tell me why the geese start honking loudly about 30 seconds to a minute before taking off
    Pre-flight Checklist? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Obviously to signal their intentions to take off so the others will clear the runway.

The geese, Gertrude and Heathcliff, generally walk back and forth between a couple of the ponds in the back yard several times a day. One of the closest approaches to our back porch is a bare area that I have sculpted with the tractor. It isn't as photogenic as the grassed areas but the geese ar much closer. My wife has put out about 30-40 lbs of whole corn in the last couple weeks. The crows and black birds didn't get it all.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In Alberta in some places large round bales were placed for the geese to nest on. Worked well.

Egon

We have a pair of Canadian geese that nest on the island of our pond every year. I believe it is the same pair but I am not sure of that fact. If you lack an island, make a floating nesting platform. The DNR in my state does this with very good results.

Interesting font thingy...

This is what Outlook showed me... The D.O.C. in my state
    and of course you actually said... The DNR in my state

I wondered what the Department of Correnctions was doing building islands for geese [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Made more better sense after I opened the post in CBN.

Glad to hear it wors so good because it has been on my list of things to do for a long time. A floating island anchored out in the pond away from a lot of "nosey neighbors" who might invite themselves to lunch or a goose dinner.

I have some left over styrofoam to do the flotation or I may use plastic drums.

Yes, I said DOC originally, I am old school and it used to be the Department of Conservation. When I got to thinking about it, I thought that it might be mistaken as corrections [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] , hence the change to DNR.