Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric wood splitter

Electric wood splitter

Nice site!

I have seen advertisements and info on the DR electric wood splitter. 6 ton.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Seems like it might be too small.

Thanks,

ks

Re: Electric wood splitter

Most of the electric splitters are slow compared to most of those fitted with ICE but their care and feeding is way simpler.

DR has pretty good quality stuff and a great service department insofar as I have dealt with them. Electric splitters aren't for commercial or other rapid high volume requirements. If you pace your self and don't try to make wood splitting a competitive event, a good electric splitter can do OK unless you want to split really big, tough, twisty grained stuff as that can challenge some pretty big ICE powered units.

Some folks like to take the splitter to the job so they don't have to risk a hernia, handling, loading, unloading larger heavier pieces multiple times. You pick up the heavy pieces once to get them situated on the splitter and after that you are dealing with lighter, split, pieces. If you do much volume this can make a big big difference.

A drawback to the electric units is that if you want to split "on-site" where you fell the tree to save a lot of labor you are limited by the typical lack of electricity out in a wood lot/woods. A generator to run a splitter is a reasonable possibility. I put a 7500 Watt genny in the back of my pickup so I can run a 120VAC extension pole trimmer/pruner (electric chain saw on a telescopic pole.) There are ICE powered units but they cost more, are logistically more complicated, and are heavier and harder to work with way overhead. I have shifted the ICE related logistics of several tools to a genny rather than have so large a collection of individual ICE units to fuss with.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Time to get a Rail splitter on the marcket Pat.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, You go ahead, I'm making too much money on my other projects. How about the deal where you send in $10 for a 100% guaranteed effective tomato horned worm exterminator device. Uses no dangerous chemicals or electricity. The secret is revealed when the suc... UHH I mean customer opens the box and finds a small board wih a groove in it and a tiny mallet with instructions to place the worm on the grove and strike repeatedly or as neccessary to kill the worm.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Ah so but did not the speed of the electric device come into question?

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm selling the solar cloths dryer. A piece of rope and four clothspins!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Here I'm dead serious and you fellows make fun of me; for shame! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

People state that an electric wood splitter is slow which is true. This opens the case for development of a rail type splitter which definetly would be fast. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi man;

That was the case with the old type of electric log splitters. I tried the new one at www.omegastores.com and it works fast enough for me log splitter

The dr is a good machine but for less money you can get a better one with more power etc. i love splitting wood, so I know what's going on. I got mine at www.omegastores.com log splitter

Thanks for the replys