Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liming pasture

Liming pasture

Hello, this is my first post (well second - posted same message in an existing thread) though I've been lurking for awhile. I don't want to hijack this thread, but my question seems to go along in with this thread. I have a bit more than 6 acres (4-5 in pasture) in NW Washington State. My pasture is growing rather slowly for this time of year and I seem to have a lot of moss in the mix. I suspect that I need to lime it at a minimum. Can I lime over the existing grass, or do I need to bare the land? And, If I can lime over the grass, how long would it take to be able to graze the horses on it again?
    Thanks for any and all help,
    Steve

Re: Liming pasture

The lime can be spread on the existing grass but,will take longer to get down into the dirt where it is needed. Unless you get a lot of rain.I`m not sure on the downtime for grazeing but,myself would treat as fertilizer and wait at least two weeks. You might also need to add some amonia nitrate it promotes grass blade growth more than roots.Post amonia nitrate definitely no grazeing for two weeks. It can cause nitrogen build up in their stomache till point of killing them

rebelmedic,

Thanks for the reply. Can I apply the ammonia nitrate at the same time? Also my soil has a lot of clay. Does this make a difference?

Yes...I know, I need to have a soil sample tested. Will be doing this soon, but trying to figure out a schedule ahead of time. We have lots and lots of rain right now.
    Steve

I can`t say for sure but,I`ve never seen both applied at the same time.I do not think they would do well together due to most of the lime being a powder and the amonia pellets.I guess you could use pelletized lime but it takes longer to enter soil.If you are doing the spreading the pellets work better than powder in pto spreaders. Our soil here also has a lot of clay and generaly requires a lot of lime.Wish it would rain here everything is extremly dry,ponds even getting low.

From my experience, you should never apply lime and fertilizer at the same time. Also, lime takes a long time to absorb so you shouldn't expect results to happen in 5 seconds. In fact, around here it can take 6+ months to see any effects. I would recommend to wait 2-3 weeks between liming and the first application of another type of fertilizer.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Thanks GAFarmer. It sounds like it might be a good idea to lime in the fall and go for real pasture improvment next year. Would it make sense to do anything more than mowing this spring and summer? I intend to get a chain harrow and drag the pasture to spread manure on a regular basis. Is there a good reason to turn the teeth down and rip the sod? I still need to be able to pasture my horses on it (in rotation) this spring and summer.

Steve

rebelmedic,

Thanks again. A further question, if you don't mind. Does the lime improve the drainage of the clay soil, or do you need other additives for that? I've heard that chalk from sheetrock is good for improving the drainage of clay soil.

Steve

If you want to get a head start, you might want to go ahead and get that soil test. That way you can throw down some fertilizer and get a head start on fixing any problems you have. I wouldn't bother with turning the teeth down and ripping up the soil unless you REALLY throw the fertilizer to it. However, I don't think you'll be doing that. So for right now get that soil test. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now the other thing I wanted to say was on the spreading of manure on a horse pasture. It is ok to do it lightly while the horses are out of the pasture, but don't do it heavy or while they're in there. We don't like eating our own poo (or at least I hope you don't [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and horses don't either. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I realy do not know if it helps with drainage or not.Just on a personal thought probably not because it`s not pourous and combines with the soil.Thats a quess on my part.I have heard of people useing the sheetrock in place of comercial lime but not as drainage aid. Your chain harrow can be used in agressive mode to gently break/scratch the surface while scattering the in field manure.This light loosening of soil helps the grass roots grow better and helps more water enter soil and not run off too quickly.I think the TBN site also has some more info on the pasture renovations