Thread: Licking Lab

Licking Lab

Does anyone have a cure for stopping a Lab from licking everything and everybody?

Re: Licking Lab

I don't have any suggestions about the "everything" but you could let "everyone" know to grab his tongue and hold it for a few mintues. Dogs don't like that too well, and it might slow him down. Our pit is the most "kissing" dog we have ever had, and my youngest granddaughter (23 months) has started reaching for his tongue the minute he starts flopping it toward her. We all still get kissed to death, but he tends to not try to give her kissies anymore. Good luck! Chris

Re: Licking Lab

with any dog behavor your likely not to "stop" the behavor but you should be able to at least control it.

The first line of attack so be to inform those new to the dog that he/she likes to give kisses.

if its getting to be excessive (ie your sitting in the living room trying to entertain your friends) you should be able to give a comand to have them stop. (its not likely to work permantly but they should at least leave it a long for a bit)

Oh no - a licking Lab! I hate it when our dog licks people. I usually just tell him NO and he listens. You have to be sure that everyone does the same thing. If some people don't mind it when the dog gives kisses he will think he can kiss everyone.

maybe he needs salt in his diet??

chili . put some chili on ur hand and if she lick she will never do it again after having a habanero sauce on her tounge

We had a lab pup that liked to put his mouth on everything. We put tobasco sauce on some items he was not allowed to have and kept giving him things he was allowed to have. He got the message quickly.

This tobasco sauce trick sounds interesting. Can I assume it is not harmful but just spices up the dog's palate? I am curious to try it with my dog but I want to know how it really would affect her.