Thread: Looking for red beans recipe

Looking for red beans recipe

My brother used to make great beans over the grill. They were charred just enough to add some extra flavor. Anybody have a recipe for char-grilled red beans?? I sure would like to cook up a large pot for a spring evening barbecue.

Re: Looking for red beans recipe

WoW cowboy those beans sound good, since I see U'r post is from way back, I suppose U didn't get a recipe! I'll look at my recipe box and see if I can find ONE! I'd sure like a bowl of them! Have a good day! hehehe I sure liked to messed up and missed spelled bowl.... I put a "e" after the "w"! but I reckon it's be bout the same! Have a good day roho

I tried that a couple times but mostly the beans fell through the grid onto the coals.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

As I remember them, they were in a thick soup, not that runny stuff that mine always turn out in. Salted just enough to make your mouth water. I suppose he let them burn a little on the bottom to get the charred flavor, but I'm not sure.

Cowboy, try taking a cup or so of the cooked beans and mash them. Then return them to the pot and mix back in good, should help thicken the juice.
    Mike

I don`t know about the charred part but do know how to make them thick. I do mine in crockpot, it can be adapted to grill cooking in heavy pot but,have to watch water more closely. 1 Lb red beans. Take 4-5 slices smoked bacon cut to about 1/2 inch pieces.Medium heat cook the bacon in small pot or skillet till edges just turn a little brown,you want lots of bacon grease rendered. Carefully add some hot water to cover bacon, allow to boil.Add 1/2 to 1 medium white onion chopped medium pieces and about tea spoon of chopped garlic. I add very little salt as cannot remove if too much used and can add to taste after cooked.Simmer a few minutes then add blend to crock pot. Add beans and hot water to cover them good. They will suck up a lot of water to start with.Keep water to cover well. After boiling and no longer requireing extra water stir well about every 20 to 30 minutes,the more stirred the thicker the beans bccome. I cook mine all day add water as needed.If you like a more smokey taste add a little liquid smoke, it`s potent so be carefull not too much.It can ussualy be found around the barbque sauses in wal mart(at least down here in our area).It`s realy a easy meal after set up in crock pot and no longer need the added water. I just go by and stir when I`m in house takeing break from yard work.