Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: delta pressure washer problem

Re: delta pressure washer problem

Stumpy, Since the mfg may have shanged names the week after they sold a large lot of the washers to the discount store to dodge warranty repairs, forget the AUTHORIZED repair center. There are lots of places that do presure washers. Likely you can do what is needed.

First ya gotta find the subject part, pressure relief thingy.

It is located next to and possibly part of the pump casting. When the pump tries to move water and the trigger is closed something has to give since as said before, it is hard to conpress water very much. The pressure relief is something like a spring loaded valve that holds pressure against the pump output untill the pressure goes beyond its setpoint and then the spring is compressed some more and lets some water get by it

Essentiall what is happening is the pressure relief opens up a "SHORT CIRCUIT" path for the high pressure water to get from the output side of the pump back to the input side. There are other ways to do this but this is a common one. You could just let some water spray off into the air when it wasn't allowed by the trigger to go out the wand. It wod work fine but would be a pain with all the water sprayong all the time whether you wanted it or not.

Did you run the engine by starting it with the trigger pulled and let it pump high prressure water through the wand? You need to try that. Then while the unit is seeming to pump normally you let up on the trigger for just an instant and then pull it again right away. Do this several times, each time letting up on it for just a little more time. Maybe after 20-200 repetitions the pressure shocks will break loose the bypass. IF you just let up on the trigger completely for a while with a stuck bypass the engine will stall immediately and it is conceivable you could damage something in the pump, blow a seal or gasket or ...

Sometimes there are plugs or caps with hex heads (allen sometimes) on the pump casting. Typically one of thiese is the bypass. IF you open it and find a spring and or maybe a piston (not the pump piston) you could try penetrating oil and gentle taps with a piece of wood between the part and the hammer. Something in there is most likely a bit corroded and therefore sticking. IF you don't feel mechanically quallified to discern from inspection which parts constitute the pressure relief then put penetrating oil on, in, and around everything that could conceivably move (that is in the path of water) and try to "wiggle" everything that looks like it could move, especially if it has a spring involved.

Alternatively, you could run the thing briefly with no water to get water out of it and blow it out with air if available and then pour in a lot of WD40 and penetrating oil into the water intake and with the spark plug wire removed pull the starter cord repetitively, adding more penetrating oil between pulls. You can disconnect the wand which will relieve the pump so it is easier to pull the starter. I'd continue this untill I got a significant quantity of penetrating oil coming out the wand connectiion port.

NOTE: It is always possible that somewhere there could be a seal or gasket that will not like to be in contact with WD40 and or penetrating oil for an extended period (or at all.) I have never seen this in a sprayer but it is possible. If all this fails (and I have only outlined work totaling less than an hour) then try to put it all back the way it started out and after replacing the spark plug wire o the plug, run the engine with the triger pulled and water being pumped through to clean out the chemicals. Now take the thing to a shop that "DOES" pressure washers.

Failing that, sell it, toss it and replace, or wire the trigger open and suffer to have it spray all the time it is running.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I have only used or owned one cheap engine driven pressure washer I bought after my electric one finally died? So I am giving generic advice NOT built on decades of intense professional experience.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Took apart something might be the pressure relief thingy and dip it in WD40. Put it back in, now I'm getting the exact symption as described by PAT. If I squeeze the trigger and hold it, I can start the engine. Once engine is running, I can let go and squeeze again. However, still no pressure (may a little bit).
    I also found out that this pressure washer was made by DeVilbiss. I found there website and downloaded the parts manual. However, I could find anything part that says "pressure relief" or valve,..etc.

There's a thing called the "Unloader". Is it the same thing as a pressure relief thingy?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There's a thing called the "Unloader". Is it the same thing as a pressure relief thingy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes; at least I'm pretty sure that's what a relief valve is frequently called. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Stumpy, Unloader. Yup, heard it called that before too. You may have to move the parts around a bit through their normal range of motion (kinda like physical therapy) in addition to lubricating to free them up. This assumes, of course, that nothing is broken, just has a minor corrosion problem. By the way, WD40 is a lot of things, including a great catfish bait supercharger, but a good lubricant, especially long term lubricant, isn't one of them. Its beneficial effects are short lived. Great stuff but evaporates and doesn't leave much of a good film behind.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I checked the site but did not know which pump but did look at the parts/diagrams for several.

The unloader is the pressure relief valve. I can't tell if it is adjustable or not.

There also appear to be three suction inlet and three pressure outlet spring loaded valves. These appear in the separate head diagram. If one of the inlet/outlet valves sticks or fails in an open postion you will not get any compression. If you do get into taking this section apart remember to insure that everything goes back together correctly as the valve are all directional in operation.

My greatest joy was changing compressor valves at 03:00 in the morning and making sure they were properly orientated. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So many experts... LOL Only joking guys....

OK, lets get down to business here...

1, Did you leave water in the pump over the winter..?
    Did it freeze ?

If it did, chances are the plungers and seals are damaged and maybe even the housing itself... ice can crack cast metals when frozen.

2, Did you just post that you ran it dry ?
    If you did, this will kill your seals.

3, Did you excessively let the unit idle, more than a couple minutes ?

This too will burn up your seals

I know all this because it has happened to me... (1 &amp; 3)

I had a CAT pump on mine and it was a nightmare from the first season. I just switched to a COMET pump which is cheaper to rebuild if needed and it seems that these pumps last a little longer because they are a little more forgiving.

Here is a great site that has just about everything you may ever want when it comes to P/Washers...

http://apwdistributing.com/index.html