Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delta pressure washer problem

delta pressure washer problem

Help! I got a Delta DTH2450 pressure washer with Honda 5.5HP engine from Sam's Club a few years ago. Only been use it a few times and still looks brand new. The last time I use it was a little over a year ago. It was working fine then. Now it doesn't work anymore. The engine starts and runs ok (1 or 2 pulls starts engineright away). As soon as I connect the intake water hose and turn on the water, the engine stalls.
    No water, engine runs fine. Turn on water, engine stops. What do you think the problem is? I try to call the phone number printed on the washer but got a phone number no longer in service message. I guess they must be out of business now. Thanks for you help.

Re: delta pressure washer problem

Probably a dirt dobber nest in the line or gun somewhere. I let mine sit for a few weeks and the same thing happened. Cleaned the nest out, no more problems.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Gas goes bad.

ESPECIALLY when mixed for two-stroke engines. (I know, that's not yours.)

When it goes bad, it gums things up - forms resins that clog small openings like valve seats, jets, you get the idea.

Get some carb cleaner and clean things up. That might be all it takes.

The pressure washer probably has a 4 stroke engine but they are still subject to OLD fuel syndrome (which this is not likely a case of.)

IF your pressure by pass is stuck when the pump tries to pump water and the output line to the nozzle is closed (you aren't pulling the trigger) the engine is trying to pump water into a closed system and water doesn't compress easily so the horsepower requirement goes up toward infinity and the engine fails to provide it and dies, probably abruptly.

Try this: turn on the water (doesn't it say somewhere to not run the thing while it is dry? It should.) Anyway, turn the water on and squeeze the trigger fully. Water may squirt through a little bit but not to worry. Now with the trigger held fully on, start the engine. I know you need three hands to operate the trigger pull the starter and adjust the choke so get a helper to hold the trigger if you can't do it all. Anyway this will prevent the hydraulic lock and probably let you use the unit. If it starts, runs and sprays... beware it might die if you release the trigger if the pressure bypass stays stuck (assuming this was all or part of the problem to start with.) Briefly and repetitively UNSQUEEZING the trigger while running the engine may unstick the pressure relief.

Can you say corrosion? These built to price units aren't exactly super designs with super expensive non corroding materials. When taking a unit out of service for the winter or even a month or two it would be good to dry it out and lubricate it with oil. there are water soluble oils that would help. Even running a little antifreeze through it before shutting down would help, a lot. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors. Figure out a way to pour antifreeze into a funnel or whatever to feed a short length of hose at the input and catch the output in a jug. The antifreeze you save in the jug is still OK to use like new. Shut the unit down while it is squirting antifreeze and that will leave antifreeze inside the "works" to protect against corrosion.

IF you can ID the pressure relief maybe you could tap it with a small hammer or try to get some antifreeze or soluble oil in to it to try to free it up. Penetrating oil might get in there isf you use enough and turn the unit around to different angles to get the oil to run "downhill" to the pressure relief.

I had thte stuck pressure relief problem. Now my throttle spring needs replacing as it broke.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thank you all for the suggestions. It's a 4-stroke honda 5.5hp engine. Here's an update... I have no idea what I did (took a few things apart then put them back together...) Now the engine runs with the water on. The problem is it's no longer a pressure washer [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] When I squeeze the trigger, just a little bit of water comes out (like a toy water gun.) The pressure is much much lower than the garden hose. The engine surges up-and-down. It doesn't work like it use to (when squeese the trigger, the engine rev up). Not sure if it's problem with the engine or the pump? The engine still starts very easily. 1 pull. The engine doesn't seem to idle. Surges high and low regardless there's water or not. Any suggestion what to look for?

The problem may be somewhere in the pump pressure releif valve or inside the the pump.

Keep taking easy things apart.

Please note this is encouragement only and does not even remotely come close to advice!

Egon

Hey, Stumpy, Remember what I said earlier about how it sounded like your pressure bypass was stuck closed? Well it sounds now like it is stuck open. If you have a digital camera, you should take pix of things you take apart so that: 1. you can for sure put them back the same way and 2. share with folks trying to help.

It really did sound like the pressure relief was stuck closed and now it sounds like it is stuck open or to summarize it sounds like your pressure relief is STICKING! If you can figure out which part is the bypass, lube it and exercise it. Work it through its range of motion and use a penetrating lubricant to help free it up.

If you get it working again, consider runing some RV antifreeze (non toxic pink stuff) through it before you put it away. zot might not be fixable next time. They often use a single casting to be the body of several parts. If one corrodes up and can't be cleared then the whole thing is useless.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Can you say corrosion? These built to price units aren't exactly super designs with super expensive non corroding materials. When taking a unit out of service for the winter or even a month or two it would be good to dry it out and lubricate it with oil. there are water soluble oils that would help. </font color>

Good advice. Same with paint sprayers. They make a fluid for paint sprayers that is just for this purpose - run it through and leave it, just as Pat described.

I'm wondering if that stuff would be a good thing to use on a pressure washer....

Blue, Yeah, like the little old lady attending a funeral at the synagogue who shouted, "Give him some chicken soup!" and was admonished by the rabi that the man was dead and chicken soup couldn't help. She shouts out, "It couldn't hurt!"

The stuff you refer to is probably going to do a fine job at helping keep things from getting sticky. Also, recall what the WD in WD-40 stands for? AAAAAAAACK Times up.

WATER DISPLACER

The folks were trying to concoct a water displacer and hit paydirt on the 40th formula.

The trick would be to get sufficient WD-40 into the "works" efficiently. I'd recommend a hose adaptor, funnel, and bulk, not spraycan WD-40.

Hey Pat, after reading the troubleshooting section of the manual, you are absolutely correct about the the pressure relief was stuck. The manual sugguest to clean it then bring to the nearest authorized repair center if still doesn't work. Unfortunately, that's not an option for me because the 800 number on the manual no longer in service so I'm out of luck. Now, you can call me dumb but I have no idea where the pressure relief valve is located. Help me guess....
    1. in the spray gun?
    2. in the pump?
    3. somewhere in between?

I guess it's time to buy a digital camera... Thanks again for all your help.