Thread: Why you.... you... you snake in the tree!

Why you.... you... you snake in the tree!

While backing in to my regular parking spot, I noticed something in the tree over my shoulder. It's our friend, Jake No Shoulders!

A black rat snake, a good 5 feet long, which is pretty big for one of these. The head is lost in the leaves to the left...

Click for full size picture...

Parker County, Texas and Santa Fe County, NM

Re: Why you.... you... you snake in the tree!

We have Rat Snakes in Texas, too. I like them because they keep the tree rats in check. Mrs. Sneaky made me kill one the other day that had got into her chicken run though.

Yeah, that's pretty much a capital offense anywhere you go, even for a rat killer!

Saturday evening, I took the 3rd one in 2 weeks out of the chicken coop. (One of the hens alerted me to its presence.) Another 4 foot long Eastern Rat snake. I can't see killing these snakes, as they are a part of the food chain. I just don't want to see them eat MY food. This one took a lo-o-ong trip.
    (See: Look what the Easter bunny left us, in this topic.)

Any idea what rat snakes think about rabbit babies? One of my daughter's show rabbits is due in a few weeks...

I'm only guessing here, but if I were a snake... tender, juicy, helpless baby rabbit would be the blue plate special. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] (<--Smiley face licking its lips.)

i seen a huge bk snake behind our barn a few weeks ago. i left it alone. but now im on the hunt! i have had 3 brown toads come to my tranquile garden for that last 4 yrs and live in my pond. they sing all night long.. well now my toad family has came up missing.. they were ther long enough to lay eggs but now sign of them since i seen the snake.. gonna take that big ol bubba to the farm. if i get a chane to catch him.. working on a snake stick.. got a game plan.. just need a sighting LOL Rose

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm only guessing here, but if I were a snake... tender, juicy, helpless baby rabbit would be the blue plate special. (&lt;--Smiley face licking its lips.)

[/ QUOTE ]
    They were on our deck this time; the only casualty being a furless critter getting out of the nestbox; but they will be moving out to a wire enclosure in the yard today. Hmm, will he get through 1x2 wire?
    ~ Raising Show Quality Netherland Dwarfs in Virginia
    ~ http://thebriarpatch.thestrawbearypatch.net/