Thread: belarus

belarus

Hi, I recently bought a 1987 Belarus tractor for my small homestead. It started at the former owners and when he delivered it, I tried to start it and it does not start. I bought new batteries for it (2 6v) like the manufacturer states and still it won't start. It wants to turn over, but just clicks.....
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also think that maybe I have the two batteries installed wrong. Can someone tell me how to correctly connect the two separate 6 volt batteries?
    Bear

Re: belarus

Hi, and welcome!

The newer Belaruses are 12volt systems, so it's likely that yours is, too. The batteries have to be connected in series. That is, the positive to the negative. This way you get 12 volts out of two 6 volt batteries.

I don't know if it's positive or negative ground, but assuming it's the more common negative ground, the connections would go like this:

Battery 1 positive terminal to the starter.
    Battery 1 negative terminal to Battery 2 positive terminal.
    Battery 2 negative terminal to ground. (Usually the frame somewhere.)

If it's positive ground, it's:

Battery 1 negative terminal to the starter.
    Battery 1 positive terminal to Battery 2 negative terminal.
    Battery 2 positive terminal to ground.

Positive ground systems are pretty rare, and getting it backwards will fry some components, so be very sure you know which it is.

If you've got them in parallel (positive 1 to positive 2, negative 1 to negative 2), you'll only have 6 volts to your starter, and it just ain't gonna crank!

I agree with Blue Ridge but you might get some better answers if you ask that over here. tractor by net

If it clicks but won't start, and it previously started, and the batteries are hooked up ok.....

I would start by checking that a safety switch isn't preventing it from starting, such as PTO not being disengaged, clutch not pushed in, gears and ranges in neutral, etc. I am not familiar with that model of tractor, you may have to look yours over or look in the owners manual to figure out if you have something in a not-safe-for-start position according to the safety switches.

Barring that, I would check that current is getting to the solenoid on the starter when you move the switch to the start position. A test light hooked up is the easiest method for that. You can have the situation where enough voltage is getting there to light the light but not enough to spin the starter due to a bad ground or bad connection somewhere along the line. Loose or dirty battery terminals are common causes of this, or a bad connection where the ground lead connects to the frame, or where the other lead runs from the battery to the solenoid on the starter.

There are some great writeups on solving this problem either on tractorbynet.com or ytmag.com, I won't attempt to better those, just search over there if needed.

Let us know how it goes!

Your adventure (AKA Baptism under fire) has just begun with a Belarus. I wish you all of the best of luck because you are sure gonna need it. Long after the "FEEL GOOD" you got looking at the size and weight of the tractor for the few $ it cost has waned you will think you are still at war with the Russians.

You have just begun to learn a new dance, The Masochism Tango. I hope against all reason, observation, and experience that I am wrong but only time will tell, your time and a lot of it most likely. I came within a hairs breadth of buying a fairly big Belarus (used) after checking out the new ones and then... I was overcome by a sudden unexpected gust of lucidity and sage advice and let it go.

I think one of the best things I ever did was pass on that chunk of Russian cast iron. Did you check out the spare parts situation. A few years ago there was still some parts availabililty via Canada, don't know complete current situatiion or status of "Belarus America" but they seem to have come back to liife, at least partially as they have a working web site, toll free numbers, etc. You aren't orphaned as badky as folks a few years ago.

I guess it isn't all bad news but a mixed report. The good news is there may be parts available in the US and the bad news is that you will likely need them.

As to your battery situation. Don't count on the neg/pos thing to be NORMAL, this IS Rusian and they don't follow our standards. They use red lights to indicate safe or normal conditions and green or blue for danger (European blue flasing cop lights rather than red...). Check with the manual about the polarity. Manuals are available. Check the Belarus web site.

Good luck,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="blue"> As to your battery situation. Don't count on the neg/pos thing to be NORMAL, this IS Rusian and they don't follow our standards. </font color>

Yep, caution is in order. If you find out it's positive ground, wander on back and we'll chat about the fun things that can happen when you try to add, say, a radio or something like that to your tractor. Oh, and we'll want to discuss the proper procedures for jump starting between positive and negative grounded vehicles. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rule #1 - don't ever let the two touch each other! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]