Thread: Flying Squirrel Wannabe

Flying Squirrel Wannabe

We too (two?) watch birds at breakfast, ours and theirs. My wife took these pix of a Rocky and Bullwinkle fan doing his wannabe flying squirrel exercises. Calesthenics and gymnastics were to no avail as there was no joy in Muddville. Bottom of the ninth and the score was squirrel 0 - feeder 3. The one shot is entitled, "The Agony of Defeat" and is is obvious which it is.

Better luck next time, Rocky!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Flying Squirrel Wannabe

He/She may not haved dined at your feeder, but he/she certainly is not lacking in the food department!

I was thinking the same thing! That's one well fed squirrel.

Maybe he needs the calisthenics more than the meal! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jazz and Blue, Just out of the picture there is a medium sized native pecan tree and only the squirrels harvested it last fall as we left the nuts to them, our having a good supply in the freezer from previous season for ourselves. In front of the house there is a large beautiful pin oak with a hollow in it where squirrels live. I nailed a tin can to the tree next to the squirrel's front porch. My wife fills the can every few days or week. Birds help them eat it but I'm sure the birds don't get it all.

We don't see that many squirrels on our place. Not sure why as we have hoards of big pecan trees and I haven't hunted squirrels on this property. Oh well, better few than none.

Heard my first Bob White of the season a couple days ago and saw some. We usually hear them all summer and see a few time to time. No large coveys. I have not seen more than 5-6 at a time in last 7 years. Like our bullfrogs, there are barely enough to listen to and not nearly enough to sustain a harvest. Now turtles are a different story, I think we could sustain a turtle harvest.

Coyotes have been especially active the last week. Lots of chorusing at night and early morning.

We saw our first Scissor-tailed Flycatcher of the season last week. They are beautiful birds, fun to watch, and our state bird even though they never over winter here, being as how they do winters in the tropical rain forrests. Adult Sissor-tails are about a foot or so in overall length. They take insects on the wing and often sit on a power wire or fence and loop the loop to take a bug, ending up back where they started. Their courtship flight antics are phenomenal.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We've got plenty of squirrels, and they seem to do fine on the oaks we have, plus one hickory in the back yard. We do have one squirrel feeder, and of course, they raid the one bird feeder they can get to.

But none of ours look that fat! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Blue, We have several oaks around also but noe deliver so abundant acorns as the pin oak some of the squirrels live in. Still, given a choice of tasty pecans or tannin rich acorns...