Thread: Corn

Corn

I tore up about ½ an acre and want to grow a "3 sisters" garden as kind of an experiment.

Question: I'm looking for a corn variety that is;
    1. Heirloom
    2. Good eating, on the cob
    3. Decent canner/freezer
    4. Can be dried and ground into corn meal

In othe words...Ideal.

Any suggestions?
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Re: Corn

My dad always planted Golden Bantam, and it is a great corn. I don't have good luck with corn growing, but when I do plant it, I use the Golden Bantam. It should be readily available at seed stores and through catalogues. Here is a description from Victory Seeds - they are an heirloom company.

Golden Bantam <font color="orange"> </font color> 78 days — The old standard yellow sweet corn that has been the home gardener's favorite since the beginning of the 20th century. A farmer named William Chambers of Greenfield, Massachusetts had grown this variety for years. After his death, a friend of Chambers found some of the sweet corn seeds and sold them to W. Atlee Burpee.

In 1902, Golden Bantam was featured in a Burpee catalog. Before 1900 most people thought that yellow corn was fit only for animal feed. Within a few years, people in the United States began to favor yellow corn.

The plants grow to about six feet and produce seven inch ears loaded with sweet, plump, golden kernels. [Approximately 110 seeds per ounce]

Re: Corn

Thanks for the information.

110 seeds per ounce? So I looked in my catalog....1 oz. $2.25+ $5.00 shipping. ½ pound $3.49 + $5.00 shipping. OK, so I'll order a half pound store the rest, and have seeds for a couple of years. After I placed the order, I found out that they double the cheapest item on your order for free. Now I have a full pound of seed on the way.....
    [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.