Thread: Road Building....tree stumps

Road Building....tree stumps

We might be building a road or having parts of it done due to a problem up in "Homesteading" so will not go into it here.

Part of the land will have to be logged. I assume that for long term reasons the stumps will have to come out and filled, solidly filled.

To start from scratch will be a major project but long term it might be the only way to peace.

Re: Road Building....tree stumps

Rent a stump grinder and grind it down below paving/gravel level and pave/gravel over the stump.
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots

Over time the roting stump will cause a concavity to form as you drive over the location. Depends on your tollerance for repetitively fussing with the same places over and over whether it is worth it to you to take out the stumps. Highway builders take 'em out. If this is a temp thing or you are selling next week then cosmetics may mean more than quality. The rotted stump will take up less volume than the newly cut one. It will cause a subsidence. If the stump is small (your call) maybe it will not bother you that much.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Everything Pat said, PLUS, the sawdust from the grinding will be mixed with the soil and will ALSO decay and cause subsidence.

Grinding is good for a garden or lawn area. I wouldn't do it for a road.