Thread: Apples from very old trees

Apples from very old trees

We recently purchased a farm with very old, neglected apple trees. They were planted more than 50 years ago, probably more. Anyway, is there any way to get them to produce again, if they do grow anything will they be any good? We haven't lived there long enough to even see if anything will be produced. Thanks.

Re: Apples from very old trees

Many of those old apple trees may be what is termed "wild apples" In other words apple trees of indertminate source. Some may only bear every second year.

If the trees are in good shape Prune them properly, get the soil tested and amended to proper specifications and see what develops. Bugs may be a problem and you may have to spray for them.

We have some old apple trees out at the lake. I've pruned, limed and fertilized but not sprayed for bugs. Some have nice tasting apples but are full of bugs. Several years ago a local bear came a dinning and severly damaged the best trees as well as some very nice wild cherry.

My progress with these old trees has been less than stellar so please factor this into my comments.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have a row of old pear trees (roughly 100 years) that are in danger of falling down. You can see through the main trunks of some of them they are so rotted away. Every year they produce prolifically. The only care they get is that some of the fruit is picked.

They are the best pears I have ever picked from a tree. I call them Grany Smith pears since they are firm, crisp, and very juicy and sweet with great pear flavor. Not mushy likek a Bartlett.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The trees are growing in a line, near an old foundation (probably >100 yrs old) so I suspect theyare not "wild" trees, althought they certainly look pretty rough right now [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is encouraging, we'll keep an eye on them.

Really worth taking care of the trees, you will get apples that taste like apples! Don't know where you are located, but you could have winesaps, baldwins, wolf river...my mouth is watering right now. Chris

Take the suggestions that are given here. However, as a last resort if the tree will still not bear fruit give this a try: Seven Nails. I have heard this given as fact more than once.

Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.