Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Great Snake Lottery - 2006

Re: The Great Snake Lottery - 2006

Jazz, My aunt who taught biology for 40 years used to say that even non-poisonopus snakes didn't brush their teeth. With the hog-nose their is more to it than a dirty mouth as they do have actual venom. Some sources say not but INFORMED sources say yes. A herpetologist buddy of a PhD biologist friend of mine was "playing" with a hog-nose and got envenomated.

The hog-nose is so "INTO" its role that when it rolls over belly up and plays dead if you pick it up and put it down right side up it rolls back over upside down, overacting a bit.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Emphasizing that it is really, truly dead. Yep.

I had some snake and frog/toad? problems out at the farm last year. I was rota tilling and the bally creatures kept coming back after they had been relocated to a safe spot.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jazz, Right, Like we are a tad slow and didn't "GET IT" the first time and had to be shown again. Overacting sort of spoils the effect though.

Killdeer are a bit like that too. The old drag one broken wing trick. If that doesn't work they will sometimes flop over on their back and have a fit to emphasize their distressed condition before miraculously recovering and flying perfectly away.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"